Timing 310 crawler

tpc

New User
Good morning. My neighbor is working on his 310-gas crawler-loader. He is having trouble finding the timing marks. Can anyone help us locate them?
Thanks,

That should be the 148 ci engine which on other Case applications is timed from marks on the flywheel through a hole on the right lower side of the bellhousing. The hole has a pin across the middle to line up with the timing mark. It's easier to remove the starter and ratchet the flywheel around using a large screw driver. Mark it with chalk or white paint to make it easy to find next time.

The problem there is that the loader frame blocks the inspection port. Any alternative to removing the loader?

Over my many years as a professional in a Case dealer shop I have done hundreds of these procedures and seldom used a light to time one, I would make sure the advance weights springs and distributor internal parts are free and move smoothly. Then, start the engine and run wide open, turn the distributor clockwise till it just starts to bog slightly and back it up till it runs smooth and forget it. I have never had a problem using this method on a working engine.

I had a chance to go down and help my neighbor today. The problem is that he removed the distributor and now the crawler will not start. I have a 530 gas and I crawled underneath looking for the
inspection plug for timing. Not there. Using a wire brush and screwdriver we located the inspection hole on the top right of the bell housing. It has a 5/16 bolt and a teardrop cover that can be removed.
Hopefully, now he can get her going.

(quoted from post at 17:55:08 10/14/23) I had a chance to go down and help my neighbor today. The problem is that he removed the distributor and now the crawler will not start. I have a 530 gas and I crawled underneath looking for the
inspection plug for timing. Not there. Using a wire brush and screwdriver we located the inspection hole on the top right of the bell housing. It has a 5/16 bolt and a teardrop cover that can be removed.
Hopefully, now he can get her going.
If the dist was removed without marking where the rotor tip is pointed it can be installed at TDC but on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. Make sure it is on compression at tdc then point the rotor toward #1 spark plug and install distributor and wire to #1 plug then 3-4-2, clockwse rotation. You are correct about the location of the timing pointer on the crawler bell housing. If you are timing it with a light keep the rpm up so the centrifugal weights are fully extended. I do not want to confuse you but you could static time the engine by using a test light on the distributor wire from the coil to the distributor, at tdc rotate the distributor till the test light comes on, that will time it at 0. I did many of them that way when customers dropped engines at the shop for rebuild.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back