Timing 830 injector pump.

Well the good news is thanks to the help I got my injector pump freed up. It was not stuck badly
at all! The bad news is that in the process the gear on the front of the pump slid forward and
likely is not in the same tooth on the front of the pump. So I can see the timing marks on the
gear going into the timing cover, but how do I line the gear back up in the right tooth on the front
of the pump? Thank you again everyone!
 
Did you align the PUMP GEAR/FLANGE marks before removing the pump? If so it should go back the same way, and the shaft/gear that drives the pump might move a little but should not have jumped any gear teeth. I've never seen that happen on any 730, 830, 930 or 1030 pump I've had off before.
 
Removing the pump with the adapter is not how it should be done. You can correct your mistake this way, remove the rear valve cover, then turn flywheel to align the TDC mark. Now rock flywheel back and forth 10 degrees of the TDC mark and see if BOTH the rear valve rockers are moving, if so then the front cylinder is on the compression stroke like you want. If you DON'T see the rockers move, then turn engine exactly one turn and check again. Pistons one and four are at TDC together, but the CAMSHAFT determines which is ready to fire. With the rear rockers moving, now turn crankshaft counter clockwise to engine timing spec and stop, about 30/32 degrees BTDC if I remember correctly. Your valve cover may have the timing and valve spec decal like most Case engines did. With engine set, now install the drive with the pump removed from it, don't worry about the gear mark, that can be anywhere. Now install the pump and rock it back and forth until the PUMP GEAR/FLANGE marks align through the inspection plug hole, pump gear teeth MAY need moved one or two teeth either way as gears are helical cut. Long as the front cylinder is on the compression stroke at the correct crank timing mark, and pump marks align engine will be in time.
 
Yes thank you sir. Thank you for taking the time to type that out. I have a I&T shop manual and it is not nearly as clear as your description. I cant wait to try it Saturday!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top