Jeff NWOH

I tried to swap some 19.5 truck tires the other day. I did the first one and then gave up and took the other 3 to the truck/tractor tire place. It literally took those guys 10 minutes to do the other 3(and cost me $75). That's the first time I've messed with 19.5's. I've got a truck with 22.5 and a couple skid steers with 16.5s. I've got a few buddies with trucks with the 22.5 and 24.5 tires also.

I've come to the conclusion that I need some real tire irons. I'm wondering what you all use as far as length and style.

I can get this pair of 52" kentool on ebay. They really aren't much more than buying the shorter 36 or 42" irons. Is there such a thing as too long? I'd guess the ones my tire guys used were either 40 or 50".
cvphoto18922.jpg

I've also watched them use a tool like this on semi tires. Really worked slick to dismount. Seller claims it will work down to 17.5" tires. Anybody use one?
cvphoto18925.png

Lastly, tire lube. They wet the tires down with lube out of a squirt bottle to dismount. Then they use a grease of some sort on the bead to mount. They can actually get the first bead over the rim just by dropping the tire on it sometimes. I'm thinking that the lube is really the key here. Any specific brand or type that works better?

Thanks for any input, Jeff

You have to realize the people in the shop you took the tires to have been doing it for years. I have a couple leaf spring leafs, that work real good. It also helps to do it when it's hot outside. I realize some back east folks don't have a choice but to do it in the cold. Stan

If your doing any aluminum wheels Ken-tool has a neat little leather thing the prevents the iron form marking the wheel.

What were you using for slickum? If you are using dish soap it ISNT slick enough and you were fighting against it. I did tires for over 22 years and would still be doing them if my back was good. In those 22 years we found a product called Bowes Big Blue to be the slickest tire lube on the market. On the 19.5's you just about need to use the tire irons. There just isnt enough room to get the demounting tools down inside the beads. Have fun with them.

Tire lubes do make a difference, better than trying to use dish or hand soaps. Many of the paste types have rust inhibitors to help protect the rims. Murphy's Products, Freylube Products and Tru-Flate/Camel "Stuf" are some of the paste types I've used. Some of them can be mixed with water to make a spray if wanted. Ru-Glyde makes a paste and is commonly available as a pre-mixed liquid to spray or wipe on. NAPA and most parts stores can get at least one of those. NYTECH Supply has a large line of those type products on their website.

I just changed my first set of tires. They are 15". I didn't use a fancy tool so don't have any input on those. I used my pretty red tractor's underside to do the old break the beads with the jack trick, and then used Dawn dishsoap both to help get old tires off and new ones on. Just used a prybar and two long screwdrivers, and worked carefully. Mix with a little water. From what I researched, soap is the best thing to use. I read many posts warning not to use the expensive tire lubes made with silicone, as it may cause the tires to move and slide around on the rim when accelerating or braking. A few also said dishsoap actually creates a little bit of a seal, which I don't know about that, but maybe it does?

BlackJack tire compound, I saw recommended by a guy re-beading his big tractor tire in the field. He said it seals and helps prevent rust.

I bought Rim Grease from Gemplers when I bought my tire irons.

Great stuff and prevents rust.

Dean

I've got a dozen or so different bars. 2 tire hammers and a slide breaker. Buy them when I find at swat meets and such. But if your only going to have 2, the two in the top pic are the ones to have. Worked a few years in a tire shop. We used murphys tire lube.

I've got one like the left one in both sets shown and a regular straight spoon about 30 inches. I do all of our tires with them. For slickum I use Cyclo Breakaway. Rub it on the bead and on they go. The dish soap will rust the rims over time. I use dish soap mixed strongly for leak finding. The smaller the tire rim diameter the tougher they are to do. Not to much difference till you get below the 12 inch sizes. Narrow tires are harder than wider tires also.

I have used the dismount sets before and they work great,but for what they cost, you need to change a lot of flats. The 52 tubeless bars were just about the best all a round pry bar you will ever own. Rusted rims on a pu or car,stick one between the rim and brake rotor,need to pry down a lower control arm to change a ball joint(strut style) grab the bar. We used them for everything,I wish they were cheaper so can afford a set at home.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back