Tire patches

Tony S.

Looks like everybody's having the same problem as me with tire patches that won't stick. I bought a little yard wagon last year and both tubes leak and I can't get patches to stick. Hate to buy new tubes if they'll just go bad too. Where do you guys get that foam stuff? Also, I was remembering when I was a kid, my Dad used hot patches. He'd clamp the patch on the tube and light it on fire and the patch would bond down so it couldn't be scraped off. The thing had a metal ring with some kind of fuel in it. I've looked on line a bit but can't find anything.

Trick is to buff the area where the patch goes real well. I use an angle grinder to do so. Then apply the glue and let it sit a couple minutes before putting the patch on. I'm one of the lucky people I have an old patch tool that heats the tube and patch and one does not even need glue. You plug it in let it sit that way for 30 minutes. Unplug it let it cool an the patch is melted to the tube

Old,
I understand the patch getting melted to the tube part.
But how does it not melt the patch over the hole as well as the tube material on the otherside into a three layers?

Tubes tend to have a power like stuff inside so as to keep that from being a problem. Other wise it would also be a problem if you had a flat tire with a tube in it sitting out in the hot sun for days on end gluing them self's together. This machine I have was old when I got it decades ago and was at one time the way tubes where patched

I remember the old patch method you mention, my dad did it the same way. Still have one of the clamps hanging in the shop. Probably the fuel in the metal ring had something that gave us all cancer or something. they did work good though

A lot of the small tubes look to be made of a plastic type material, not rubber.

Haven't found any way to patch them, they are a one time use.

Any small pneumatic tire will have ongoing flat problems. There is just not enough volume of air to be practical to maintain.

Your best solution for the wagon will be flat proof tires. Best selection I have found is Northern Tool. They have a wide range of replacement wheels with the flat free tires already mounted. Just match your size, shaft size, and hub length/offset.

Expanding foam does not work, you'll just waste money and make a mess.

Having them foam filled is expensive. I doubt any place that does tire foaming will even be interested or willing to do anything that small.

Hot patches went away years ago, probably because technology made them obsolete. They were time consuming, a fire hazard, probably contained something hazardous to ship or use.

I still don't have any trouble patching tubes but do have more problem finding tube patches. last I bought by mistake were tubeless tire patches ,but they worked also. Just buff glue and patch.

Like someone else said buff the area good apply glue let it dry, and apply the patch, and use a what is called a stitching tool to roll the patch flat, or a window screen bead roller will do the same thing. Stan

Vulcanizing patches,you clamped them,then took an awl lifted a bit of the cardboard n lit it.its gunpowder just enough in it to heat patch up to bond to tube.these new tubes are some synthetic junk,patches will hold if you buff n clean well then smear glue on,wait till its dry looking,stich patch down with knurled roller,wait 5 minutes before assembling tire

I use liquid tire buffer, takes the soap film off of rubber, allows the glue to adhere to tube. works slick. put some on shop rag, wipe on patching area

I will admit to having a little difficulty once or twice but just following instructions seems to have worked over the last 55 years.I keep a small can of the glue onnhand because the little tubes evaporate. I keep the kit an hand because sometimes it just takes too long to go pick up a new tube.

Most tubes nowadays are more of a plastic than rubber. Just open a box in a store and take a look/feel. They are more like the surface of a 5 gallon bucket than what you'd think rubber to feel like.

Ever tried to glue something to a 5 gallon bucket, or to much of anything plastic? VERY difficult.

There are still vulcanizing tools available new, but they'd just melt these plastic tubes we have now.

I have a hot patch station mounted on my shop outside . I just can 't find any hot patches for it. I would love to find some.

(quoted from post at 08:18:53 09/30/19) I have a hot patch station mounted on my shop outside . I just can 't find any hot patches for it. I would love to find some.

Dr. call Tech

Had good look with stuff, with tire patches. As many people mentioned clean and rough up area for better adhesion.
cvphoto37840.jpg

I've had that problem with Chinese tubes. The American and Korean tubes I've used have not had that problem. I've had to really push my tire dealer to find American tubes but they are out there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back