Tire problem

flyingace

Member
I have a '66 3000 with a front tire that keeps going flat. The tire/tubes are new, but the wheel is 46 years old. The tube seems to be getting pinched between the rim and tire bead when the tractor is in use. At least that's where the last hole in the tube was.

The recommended tire size is 6-6.50 X 16, but the old tires were 7.50 X 16. The old tires rubbed the radius rods during turns, so I got 6.50s.

Is there a possibility that these wheels were designed for 7.50 tires? Does anybody know the actual width of the standard (6-6.50) rim? I'm wondering if the wheel is too wide for the tire and that's why I'm having this problem.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
 
if the tire profile loks good on the rim and not wider at the base than at the start of the tread rim width is ok

getting the tube out from under the tire bead is just one of those things that comes with time and learning, doing your own tires.

I usually get my tubes in while the one side of the tiree is still over the rim, then inflate the tube to expand and seat a bit.. then deflate it a bit till soft but filled.. this keeps it from folding and getting under the tire bead as you seat the other side of the tire withj your spoons. be sure not to stab too deeply and pinch them either.
 
(quoted from post at 17:08:25 08/02/12) if the tire profile loks good on the rim and not wider at the base than at the start of the tread rim width is ok

getting the tube out from under the tire bead is just one of those things that comes with time and learning, doing your own tires.

I usually get my tubes in while the one side of the tiree is still over the rim, then inflate the tube to expand and seat a bit.. then deflate it a bit till soft but filled.. this keeps it from folding and getting under the tire bead as you seat the other side of the tire withj your spoons. be sure not to stab too deeply and pinch them either.

The tire sidewall sticks out beyond the rim. I don't think you would see that if rim was too wide.

Thing is, these installs have all been done by a tire shop. I asked them each time if it could be they pinched the tube, and they say 'no way'. I even watched the last one, and I didn't see it pinch. Still it goes flat.
They haven't made me pay for these repairs, so they aren't doing this on purpose.

I think I will do this one myself. I've changed motorcycle tires before, so I'm hoping this won't be too much worse.
 
if the sidewall bows out the rim may be a tad small.. but you can usually get away with a size or two..

tire shop or no.. if they are installing it.. it goes flat.. hole is in bead when they dismount.. then guess what.

proof is there....
 
(quoted from post at 17:51:32 08/02/12) if the sidewall bows out the rim may be a tad small.. but you can usually get away with a size or two..

tire shop or no.. if they are installing it.. it goes flat.. hole is in bead when they dismount.. then guess what.

proof is there....

Thanks SG. I guess the old saying applies 'if you want it done right, do it yourself'.
 
(quoted from post at 18:16:58 08/02/12) if possible.. yep...

Just as a follow up to this, I patched up the tube and re-installed by hand, following the advice about semi-inflating the tube. Guess what, been 3 days including a little work and it's still holding.

I did grind down some pretty sharp burrs on the rim before installation, so maybe that was the root of the problem. However, since this has happened to BOTH tires, I have to wonder about the tire shop. You would think a shop specializing in ag tires would know how to work with an inner tube!
 
(quoted from post at 16:46:57 08/06/12)
(quoted from post at 18:16:58 08/02/12) if possible.. yep...

Just as a follow up to this, I patched up the tube and re-installed by hand, following the advice about semi-inflating the tube. Guess what, been 3 days including a little work and it's still holding.

I did grind down some pretty sharp burrs on the rim before installation, so maybe that was the root of the problem. However, since this has happened to BOTH tires, I have to wonder about the tire shop. You would think a shop specializing in ag tires would know how to work with an inner tube!

I have watched a few "tire shop guys" that were not the"pick of the litter"

Equgor is one of them... a week after "free installation" of new steer tires on one of my Petes, I noticed what looked to be a crack... Both Aluminum wheels were cracked.... I didn't say anything; just went back and watched Equgor mount a steer tire on a truck... He hand started all ten lugnuts, then, without pushing the wheel up against the hub, took his air wrench and hammered the first lug nut tight with a big BANG as he broke another wheel.. He went to the next lugnut continued to tighten in a circle.. Tightend each lugnut once.... Give Equgor a tire hammer and he will mash a rim for free..

I don't shop there anymore; their "free" is just too expensive.... I mount my own tires.... SADly Equgor seems to have allot of cousins who also work in tire shops.....

A Good Tire Tech; Like any other service personell, should be highly valued and recommended...
 
i agree with btd.. it's the workers. good ones are good.. bad ones are bad.

you can now see that just a lil care can have good results as you installed yours with a few tips and no issues occured.

good luck

soundguy
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top