Tire recommendations

Joe1969

Good morning. I have a 1944 JD A. I believe the tire size is 13.6 x 38. Please let me know if that doesnt sound right. I need recommendations on brand of tires to buy. They are very expensive so dont want to make a mistake here. Thank you.

I don't know what size you need but I buy Firestone Field and Road. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. If your having road service put them on they prefer the wheels on the tractor.
Dave

Good morning. I have a 1944 JD A. I believe the tire size is 13.6 x 38. Please let me know if that doesnt sound right. I need recommendations on brand of tires to buy. They are very expensive so dont want to make a mistake here. Thank you.
Joe
I'm too old to think about changing a rear tire on my tractors.
I would recommend you find a local tractor tire dealer and see what tire and tube they would recommend.
My local tire dealer can also repair rims damaged by tire ballast.
Some farmers take their tractor to the dealer.
Some put the tire in their truck and haul the tire to the dealer.

Joe
I would recommend you find a local tractor tire dealer and see what tire and tube they would recommend.
Thank you
Joe
Thank you

Check Galaxy tires.
Cost less and give very good service.

I have always preferred having the tractor at the shop if the tires are loaded. Much easier pumping the fluid in or out of the tire with it on the tractor. Plus you are not wrestling with all the weight.

Tires. . Firestone, Titan and Galaxy are our biggest sellers.

Joe
Dealer gets $400 a tire to change tires on a tractor...mileage plus $150 an hour plus patches or tubes. I change my own at that price.
20210427_185507.jpg
Just got done replacing a dual on my 4690 Case tractor. Have to replace one more on it also...20.8 x 34 rubber. That will make 8 rear tires I have changed in the last 2 years, 76 years old.

Dealer gets $400 a tire to change tires on a tractor...mileage plus $150 an hour plus patches or tubes. I change my own at that price.View attachment 61709 Just got done replacing a dual on my 4690 Case tractor. Have to replace one more on it also...20.8 x 34 rubber. That will make 8 rear tires I have changed in the last 2 years, 76 years old.
No wonder your dealer charges you so much .... you probably tell them how old you are. Keep that a secret next time. They double the price for young guys like you.

I have my father-in-law's 51 A. It always had 13.6s on it but before he passed on in '91 he put 14.9 Armstrongs on it. He took them to a tire dealer, one at a time in his truck. The dealer reused the ballast and we used the hay trolley in the barn to get them on and off the truck. They're a bit balloonish on the rims and really more tire than it needs.

You could be right...they don't get rich off me though.
The tire shop I use in Sullivan, In charged me $35 for a new tube for the rear tire on my little terramite and $25 labor charge.
I brought them the tire. No ballast fluid to deal with.

I had them repair a small mower tire I couldn't remove the tire from the rim. The Labor charge was $25. I brought them the tube.
I'm cheap, but I think $25 is worth it.

This place is busy. They service, cars, trucks and farm tractors were parked in the parking lot.

Last edited:
I have 52 G that has 12.4 x38 a A could have either 12's or 13's measure the rim width . I change all my own tires local shop charged friend over 450$ to change a tire on a wd 45

We do most of our tire work even on the 30.5-32's . If we are combining then it gets hired out sometimes depending on weather . I do most of the tire work on things here. My brother helps if he is available otherwise dad tries to help he's 91 now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back