TO 30 governor/ oil pump

marne89

Hi guys, my governor on my TO 30 has never worked since i bought it.? I tore into it today and when i pulled the governor umbrella off a couple balls fell out. Is that normal.? I took the governor completely off and nothing sticks out to me that it is bad but this is the first time ive done this. Also the bumper spring screw wasn t touching the spring, could that have been the problem? I also noticed a gear that i believe is for the oil pump has a lot of slack in it as well, is that normal?

The balls should be held captive within the cage. You need a new mechanism. If you don't have one, you need an I&T manual which contains step by step instructions for replacement and adjustment. Pay attention to the torque spec on the big nut, you can break the camshaft. There's also a good youtube on adjustment. Google 'Bundy Bears Ferguson governor' and see what comes up.

Oil pump gear is aluminum and positioned under the crankshaft. There's a spec on backlash, but if your oil pressure is good and the gear doesn't show a lot of wear I wouldn't worry about it.

Pictures appear upside down because the engine is on a stand.

mvphoto100484.jpg

mvphoto100487.jpg

mvphoto100485.jpg

Thanks i will get a new one. I decided to change the head
gasket as well and cant get the head to budge. Ive removed
all 23 bolts. Any suggestions?

(quoted from post at 16:10:15 12/18/22) Thanks i will get a new one. I decided to change the head
gasket as well and cant get the head to budge. Ive removed
all 23 bolts. Any suggestions?

Recheck you've removed all the bolts then bump the starter

The cylinder head is secured with nuts on studs. There are 13 studs. If all nuts are removed, take a stiff/thick putty knife and tap it into the existing head gasket to break the seal.

Clean the threads on the studs thoroughly before torquing the head. On this engine I replaced the rusted/damaged original studs with new studs/nuts from ARP products.

mvphoto100511.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back