TO30 Rear Axle Shims

ScottsTO30

New User
Hi all.

Newbie here who has enjoyed reading through numerous topics on the forums, and finally have purchased my own TO30 (1952 I believe).

When I got it, the seller told me the brakes were not working (!), and after getting it home and opening up the drums I found the rear axle seals were also leaking. I thought I should deal with that first!

As I took out the axles and removed the brake drum rear plates, I noted on one side the metal shims were between the axle hub and backing plate like i expected, but on the other side I found 2 shims in that position, and two destroyed shims (pieces only!) between the rear of the backing plate and the axle trumpet. Can shims be installed in this way? Or should they all be inside the brake drum backing plate?

I also found no paper gaskets (or remains of)? Where are they located/installed?

Thank you for taking the time to read my first question (of many I am sure!), and I would appreciate any advice.

Scott.

The shims are supposed to be between the back plate and the axle trumpet housing.

The gasket goes between the axle retainer and the back plate. If you don't have gaskets, silicone will work.

To adjust the preload, remove some shims, snug the retainer bolts, hand turn the axle (trans in neutral). Watch the other axle. If it turns the same direction, it is too tight, add a shim and repeat. Keep adding one shim at a time until the other axle turn the opposite direction.

You do understand, the bearings get packed with grease, no differential oil should ever get to the bearings. The inner seal stops any oil that may ever get up that high.

Have you checked the oil level in the differential/intermediate/transmission cases?

Those are prone to collect water, the water raises the level, often resulting in oil in the brakes and clutch.

Thanks for your response Steve. I appreciate the advice.

Silly question. Does it matter if I add the shims on one side only, or, as I add shims (if necessary), should I add them to each side in turn?

The brake drums were indeed a mess, hydraulic oil everywhere :(. I know the bearings should be in grease, not bathing in oil, so what s the best way to clean them thoroughly before repacking them?

I will indeed check the oil level........actually will probably drain and refill with new oil just to start over as I do not know when it was last changed.

Thanks again.

You can just shim it from one side, won't matter.

Are you replacing the bearings and the outer seals?

If so, pack the bearings like you would a front bearing, squeeze the grease in in the palm of your hand before pressing them on.

If not replacing them, wash them out with solvent, blow them out, then pack with grease as best you can.

The drums can be washed out with solvent, then dried with spray carb/brake cleaner.

The shoes will be near impossible to get clean. Oil will be soaked in and will continue to squeeze out no matter how much you clean them. You don't want to clean them with any petroleum product. Brake cleaner, or lacquer thinner will work. Best to replace if in the budget. They will eventually somewhat dry out, but will be unpredictable in the meantime.

I believe there are 3 drain plugs. If there is water, it may take a few days to drain out. You may want to flush it with diesel.

The original oil was 90 weight mineral oil. Not 90 weight gear oil, big difference!

You can sub 15w 40 engine oil. It's better for cold weather use. But if you won't be using it in the cold, 90w mineral oil will be fine.

It will hold 6 gallons. When filling it, pour it in very slowly, as it takes a while to transfer from the trans to the rest of the cases. Pour it in too fast, it can flood the clutch if the front seal is less than perfect.

You can replace the inner seals, the ones that are in the axle housing not the ones on the axle. The inner keeps your oil inside the axle housing, put
bearing grease on your bearing as others stated and the shims used to be metal but now you get a package of paper gasket/shims and they work fine.

Thanks Steve and Tom.

I was hoping just to replace the inner seals (I understand that the outer seals are just for keeping the grease around the bearings, correct?). The bearings look fine, and will do as you say, clean them well and pack as much grease in there as possible.
Is it worth tapping a grease fitting into the axle hub so in future I can grease the bearings more regularly (and easily!), or is this overkill?

Great advice about the oil......will do as you say, go slowly and carefully!

Thanks again.

Scott.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back