To35 Transmission Problem

DavidMorgan

New User
Hello. I am new to this forum and am hoping to get some advice from the gurus. I recently picked up a 1960 To35 with the 4Cyl Continental Engine. The tractor is a deluxe model. I got it cheap cuz 3rd gear did not work.

As it turns out 2nd gear also does not really work either. When shifted into 3rd it does nothing. In second it will run for a while but after a few moment is fades out and engine idles but like its in neutral. Shift it back to third and then back to 2nd and she will go for a burst again. No grinding or anything. 1st gear works just fine.
High and low range work fine.

I put the tractor to use right away on a project and everything was working good save for this known problem. I went up a particularly steep hill though and suddenly there was some dull grinding in the transmission. I backed back down and went up the hill in reverse and the grinding went away again. This sounded to me like parts sliding around so i stopped for the day let her cool off and started to do some troubleshooting.

I opened the filler plug on top of the transmission. Drained the fluid. After studying the service manual i suspected that the 3rd and 2nd gear pinions were sliding around on the output shaft. This is exactly what is happening. The snap ring keeper is sheered out and both pinions were slid forward up the shaft far enough that the 3rd gear pinion is free spinning off the splines. I was able to push it back with a long screwdriver and it slides back into place just fine.

I removed quite a bit of metal chunks from the fluid and the drain plug. It looks like the last 1/4" or so of shaft splines that would hold the keeper snap ring in place have been sheared off, but just at the end. The gear slides nicely back into place and feels tight indicating that the rest of the length of the shaft it in good shape, as well as the inside splines of the pinion.

So here is where I am at:

Has anyone else ran into this problem before? Does anyone know what would cause this to happen? Slap-Happy hot rod driver trying to slam shift it?

Output shaft is toast anyway you look at it. So i am thinking if i can get the end of a mig welding torch down in there from the top, Could I Weld the 3rd gear pinion to the shaft? Eventually when i need to rebuild the whole tyranny this would be a problem but with the shaft damage it would need to be replaced anyway so cutting it out in a complete rebuild situation doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

The clutch plates are new but unfortunately one of the 3 fingers on the secondary PTO pressure plate has broken off. So at some point i will need to split the tractor anyhow for a new clutch. I have lots of work to get done this summer that i don't need the PTO for so that can wait. I am not into Hack Fixing! but in this case if i can without causing more damage in the short term it would be very beneficial to my time schedule.

Open to advice. Looking forward to getting to know the community. I love the old 35's i grew up on a apple farm. But moved to town when i was about 16. They had a couple of these with forklift attachments on them, they just have a certain sound that i missed to the 4cyl continentals. This is my first tractor and i can't wait to restore it in a few years after i get my home and shop built.
 
Welcome David!

Sounds like a viable plan to me...

It should work, at least long enough to maybe find the parts you know you will need.

It will also give you some seat time to find any other problems that may need attention. I would pull the hyd pump while in there, look the valves over. They are known to have problems.

You should still be able to use the PTO, it just won't release with the clutch.

That's a good tractor, you'll like it once everything is working!
 
(quoted from post at 18:17:17 07/31/18) Could be the second-third shift fork is broken, have seen that happen in the past on 50 and 65 models that acted the same way..

Yes that was what the seller believed the problem to e. However I was dobios of that diagnosis as 2nd gear did appear to work fine. And indeed does for a period before fading our. I visually inspected the parts. The fork and rails are fine. I can see the loose pinion gears and slide them back and fourth on the counter shaft. When attempting to shift to third bring a none synchro transmission and no resistance on the shaft the third gear sliding gear simply pushes the pinion forward instead of meshing with it in the typical slight grind and mesh sound I grew up hearing with these things.
 

Thank you for the feedback on my idea. It's pure hackery for sure but I don't have time for a teardown right now. It was a known risk and other than driving up the road I can do what I need with first high and low.

I do want to pull the hydraulic filter this weekend and make sure it's proper. It was supposed to have been changed. The fluid is mint like it's brand new. Which leads me to suspect the seller knew more than he let on. However I knew I was getting a broken tranny so it's all good. I'm loving it already, I have a renewed respect for the old way. I had no idea what it was like driving an old tractor all day with a 2ton clutch and no power steering was like. Wow what a workout!

Back in the 80's we had one of these on the farm. Had a rear mounted two stage forklift. The guy would run it all day long loading apple/pear/cherries onto the flatbed and drive them into town to the processor. I can't even imagine doing that. And no it was pure no power steering. Did have the bug-eye lights and a stack of weights on the noose. I was allowed when I was about 12 to drive the little compact Kabota a bit lol hydro static. 4wheel drive. Now I know why they would never let me at the Red one! Lol.

I'm building a house and decided to do some work myself and need to plow the winter snow if it ever comes again. I made a leap decision to buy this ferg when I saw it on CL. Dident even research it. I just had this conversation in the back of my head from one of the old timers who had a JD 2240 and a few modern diesels. He said "the Ferg 35 was the best tractor ever made." Have no idea if that's true but I have always had a thing for the red bug eyed 35. That sound just takes me back home.
 
Dang typing Long winded affairs on my stuppid IPhones. Can't spell and can't see the letters to proof read the typos!

Sorry guys. I tried to edit my horrible grammar and spelling but it's locked. Let me know if you need a translator for my gibberish, I forgot my glasses.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top