Todays Funny

John T

Here's a hilarious sort of tongue in cheek E Mail I just received. I'm NOT the author, just passing it along.

Dear Mr. Page...I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the _ _ _ _ heads in Congress.

Here is some other politically correctness to consider: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres. Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children . The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .

As a die hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers.”

Right on - but he missed the Central Michigan University "Chippewas," which has the blessing (I believe,) of the local Native American tribe of the same name.

Not only teams, how about a few states, cities, counties, parks, vehicles, planes, helicopters, and innumerable other things with Indian references? Yes, I meant Indian. TDF

John,

Years ago, the Pekin, Illinois high school athletic teams were the "Chinks". Has since been changed to "Dragons", I think.

Stan

Just checked, and the Orofino, Idaho high school mascot is still the Maniacs. Orofino is the home of the Idaho state mental hospital.

Your reference to Oregon State brings to mind a favorite bumper sticker during the 1984 presidential campaign of Walter Mondale/ Geraldine Ferraro, which I shan't post here.

A town near me has a statue of an Indian who helped out the white settlers when they first moved into the region. That's why they put it up.

What he really did was betray his tribe that was then massacred and was rewarded by himself being killed.

Rick

Austin-Peay University is in Clarksville, TN. The Peay portion of the name is pronounced the same as the word "Pea".

A comon cheer among the students at atheletic events is "Let's go Peay".

Tom in TN

Minnesota went through a cleansing a few years ago, 'squaw' was a popular name for lakes centuries ago. As you can see in this list in the link, they were changed. A middle eastern word was changed to 'Iron Lake' as well as others.

Interesting to see some of the changes, corrections in history on spelling or exact word I would guess on many; others like changing a 'mud lake' to 'Camelot Lake' would seem to be some fanciful developer's wish.....

Paul
Mn lake name changes

Local mascot was Dragons for many years. Since consolidating with several other small towns and putting the school out in a cornfield no more Dragons. But, the preschool children, still cared for here in town, were called, little Dragons. About three, four years ago, had to change that so now they are known as Little Blessings.

I remember when I was working on a farm over by Altona (1957) that I first heard about the Pekin Chinks and didn't think much about it.

I think we've all gotten sensitized a little bit in the past 57 years.

Stan

No. Dak. went through that name change with the UND "Soiux". It would be interesting to see how much that cost the people of this state. Just because somebody high up in the national sports lineup didn't like it.

There was a big ruckus a few years ago locally over the Bennington, NE high school sports teams being named "Warriors". Some Native Americans got upset over it.

I pointed out in a letter to the editor of the Omaha newspaper that my student dictionary simply defines the word "warrior" as someone who engages in war, with no reference to ethnicity. Others made similar comments. After some discussion, the whole thing died a natural death.

i am a native american (born in america)norwegian.
why is it alright for tribes to associate themselves with gambling, tobacco and alcohol but not with athletics (high school and college?

The whole topic is nonsense. No owner or fan base is going to name a team after something they don't respect/admire.Ask yourself ( or the complainer). If they named a team after you, would you be honored or would you be insulted?

A name can be a mill stone around someones neck.
Here in Corydon, Indiana there is a family by the name of Butt, and they run a pharmacy and some people have bumper stickers on their car that says, I love Butt drugs. If you aren't from around here the message might by misinterpreted.
There was another family by the name of Buttoff, but ve won't get into that now.

Green Bay Packers doesn't seem to offend anyone. But if they moved to San Francisco it would raise some eyebrows.

I remember when this uproar first happened we were living in Florida, someone was complaining about the FSU Seminoles, before it got much traction the Seminole tribal Government released a statement something to the effect that the FSU teams were "strong, independent and winning" and to that effect they admirably represented the spirit of the Seminole nation and we were honored to share our name with them. I picked up a lot of respect for the Seminole nation after that.

If their was truth in advertising the Green Bay Packers would now be the Green Bay Wipers as toilet paper is the major product of Green Bay anymore.

I was in the Corps with a guy whose last name was Anus. Everyone would try to pronounce it with a short "A", but he'd just tell you, "Nope, it's A-nus, just like it looks. He was real stoic about, but I later found out he was a Golden Gloves champ at some level. Heck of a nice guy, but don't get him mad!

As for the rest, seems these days everything has to be PC. If some people are "African-Americans" then why am I not a "Northern European-American"? The option I'm given is "white" which is just as insensitive as "black". I just don't get it anymore I guess.

If you support your local athletes, does that make you an ATHLETIC SUPPORTER (jockstrap) ?

LOL!

:>)

I was recently chastised for asking "What kind of Indian?" response from other party, "What do you mean?" I replied "dot or feather". The chastising started and I was informed they are Native American or Middle Eastern.

I have NEVER discriminated, but I guess language now makes you a racist.

Our society is WAY too politically correct.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back