Tomorrow is the Day

The biggest red flag here is having pressure at band 2 in gears you're not supposed to. This is most likely due to a stuck spool in the control valve. I think the first thing I'd do is remove the control valve, or at least the access cover down below, and physically check the #2 band spool for anything that looks different from the others, including freedom of movement.

As I mentioned earlier, you also have low pressure in band 1/DD clutch circuits, most likely due to a worn input shaft bearing and/or sealing ring sleeve. No amount of band adjustments will cure that, instead you're looking at a complete teardown to fix that issue.
Thanks Bern... That must be why the oil was drained from the SOS when i got it

Which one is the Number 2 band spool Bern?

Attachments

• 20240309_130246.jpg
    20240309_130246.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 56
There are only two things that compare to the feeling you get when that old tractor starts after you worked on it. One is the buck fever you feel after getting your first deer. The other, well, you know?!
"There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?" CS Ford vs Ferrari.

Well i drained the oil tonite and removed the control valve cover. Something don't look right with that servo 2 valve Bern circled in his pic. The far left cam isn't contacting the arm that moves the valve. You can reach up in there and move the valve in and out. Could this be my problem Bern?

Attachments

• 20240402_195328.jpg
    20240402_195328.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
Well i drained the oil tonite and removed the control valve cover. Something don't look right with that servo 2 valve Bern circled in his pic. The far left cam isn't contacting the arm that moves the valve. You can reach up in there and move the valve in and out. Could this be my problem Bern?
Absolutely. Looks to me like the cam slid out of place on that hex shaft. Maybe you can slide it back where it belongs and tack weld it.

It looks like somebody already arced in that area. You can see it in the pic. Tomorrow i will definitely try and put it in the right place and tack weld it.

Before and after pics of control valve band 2 cam out of place. Wish i would have noticed this before when i had the bottom plate off.

Attachments

• Control valve 28.jpg
    Control valve 28.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 39
  • Control valve 08.jpg
    Control valve 08.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Could you get a small hose clamp in there instead of welding it to hold the cam in place?
great idea Rich... i think one would fit. I even thought of some pvc pipe rings with a section cut out to snap over the hex shaft to act as spacers

Not sure which direction I'm going now since i put that servo 2 band back in operation. I'm killing the engine allot now in r2 and r1 and in 9 and 10. Plastic wire tie did the trick

Attachments

• 20240403_111756.jpg
    20240403_111756.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20240403_100022.jpg
    20240403_100022.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
Not sure which direction I'm going now since i put that servo 2 band back in operation. I'm killing the engine allot now in r2 and r1 and in 9 and 10. Plastic wire tie did the trick
If your numbers are in the right column, then something is still very much messed up with the band 2 circuit. Compare your readings with the chart I sent you, and you can see that you are getting pressures when you're not supposed to, and vice-versa. Bands 1 and 3 look OK as far a pressure application timing is concerned, so I'm honestly not sure what to make of your band 2 readings. Maybe the cam is damaged and someone tried to make plans to replace it?? I don't know. I myself would take the control valve out, plop it on the bench, and watch the valve spools go in and out while I compared the action with the chart.

As for killing the engine, that obviously is not normal either. I would begin by adjusting the bands before I jumped to any more conclusions.

I did get the service manual today and have been reading about band adjustments. I'm ok with that but the pics don't match up with my tractor. See the pic.. Hopefully i got them marked right for band adjustments

Attachments

• 20240403_124055.jpg
    20240403_124055.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240403_124126.jpg
    20240403_124126.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240403_124641.jpg
    20240403_124641.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 26
I did get the service manual today and have been reading about band adjustments. I'm ok with that but the pics don't match up with my tractor. See the pic.. Hopefully i got them marked right for band adjustments
Either you got the wrong manual, or you are looking in the 2000-4000 section. A 5000 SOS is noticeably different. And, once again, you got 2 & 3 backwards. They go 1,2,3 in order, with #1 being in the front and #3 in the rear.

Also, with the application timing screwed up on #2 band circuit, you might not have a successful #2 band adjustment. The correct band adjustment relies on having pressure or no pressure applied at specific times.

This is what YT sold me for my 5000. Hope it's right

Attachments

• 20240403_133938.jpg
    20240403_133938.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240403_134030.jpg
    20240403_134030.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
The book calls for 110-130 inch lbs. In neutral position for Band 2 ... Is that with engine running??

I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I loosened up band 2 screw till it was easy to turn... Started tractor and put it in neutral and it kills the engine. Is this that band 2 trouble Bern you were mentioning?

I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I loosened up band 2 screw till it was easy to turn... Started tractor and put it in neutral and it kills the engine. Is this that band 2 trouble Bern you were mentioning?
Pretty hard to tell from my vantage point. What I do know for sure is that according to your last pressure test results, you have no pressure at band 2 in neutral when in fact you should have pressure. This will make a correct band adjustment pretty much impossible. You need to go back like I suggested earlier and take a close look at the control valve and compare the #2 band valve spool action with the application chart.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back