Well I did have it running for awhile

fixerupper

long story! This is the resident tractor that has been languishing in my shop for almost a year. I had every gear and bearing out of the tranny, replacing a few bearings and the top shaft. The reason the top shaft had to be replaced was the roller bearing on the clutch end of the shaft had rusted so bad it fell apart and the race was half rusted away. Some of the rollers were half rusted away. After the tranny was back together I took it for a ride down the road and the tranny was just fine, but I was getting my face misted from the leaky radiator and the front wheels were fluttering back and forth. The power steering worked OK though. When I removed the radiator I noticed a little oil creeping out from the bottom of the power steering cylinder. Removing the steering housing was easy but I did find a broken dowel that holds one of the vanes in the power steering cylinder and a seal was broken on the same vane. While the radiator was out and the power steering lines were removed it's easy to remove the power steering pump to replace the leaking seals. After a ten day wait I finally got the parts to put the pump and fan shaft and steering housing back together. The radiator has been re-cored and has been sitting for three weeks so now it can go back in. The PTO reservoir had 90 wt oil in it from bad seals so off goes the back of the tractor to replace the seals. I have the seals and gaskets for the PTO now so everything can go back together and it can hopefully leave the shop for good. Every thing I have touched on this tractor has needed work. The sediment bowl assembly was gone and it is unique to the 730 gas so finding a used one took some time. Yes, I know, the new diaphragm will go bad tomorrow afternoon and fill the crankcase with gasoline!

It looks like someone pulled this tractor out of a salvage yard, put a few parts back on it and painted it real pretty. There is a new light switch but no wires going out to the lights till I wired it up. The rear tail light shell was painted up real nice with a nice lens but it was an empty shell. The three point hitch is gone, elephant ears and all. The bushings in the three point arms are well worn so it did have a three point during it's working life. It also has a new steering wheel and new seat cushions. The power steering reservoir was empty but I could not find any major leaks, just that one seep. Hmmmm! It had about a gallon of straight water in the bottom of the engine and it came from Minnesota but nothing is cracked. The reason it had only a gallon was the leak in the bottom of the radiator leaked the rest of it out. The ONE part of this tractor that did work was the genny. I had to flash it to get it charging but after that it did kick in and charge. Anyway, there is a light in the end of the tunnel now. Since these pictures were taken the power steering pump and fan has been assembled and reinstalled and the vertical steering casting has been reassembled and put back on the tractor.

When I ran it before this last teardown the engine oil pressure was good at warm idle and it did not have any strange noises so I am pretty sure the engine is OK. This tractor was cleaned up slick as a whistle and it has a professional paint job so it does classify as putting lipstick on a pig. If this tractor was rusty and beat up I wouldn't have been surprised with all that was wrong with it but doggone it this thing looked so darned pretty.
mvphoto87037.jpg

mvphoto87038.jpg

This post was edited by fixerupper on 01/15/2022 at 03:16 pm.

The one blessing for the owner is he did not pay much for it. The locals who were live at the auction must have known about this tractor or it would have sold for a lot more. When i loaded it on a trailer at the sale site for the owner all of the gears on the left side of the shift pattern were neutral. 4th, 5th and 6th were the only gears that worked. It kept starving for gas and dying while I was loading it and the only gears I had to use was fast, faster and fastest. Its just one of those nightmare online auction purchases people run into. But it sure looked pretty!

keep us updated as things go on it!
730 gas is a nice tractor, but im afraid youre having a lot of money in it!

The long list of parts is mainly gaskets and seals but there are eight bearings and the top transmission shaft to add to the list. The used top transmission shaft wasn't all that bad considering what it is and all of the bearings except for one weren't too bad. The ball bearing on the flywheel side of the top shaft was a bit salty for price. I will have to flat rate the labor. One of the PTO disks is warped and will probably make the PTO shaft spin with no load but I am not getting into that. If this tractor ever does see PTO work the engine will probably have to be killed to hook up a PTO shaft but the drag of the implement should keep it from turning. Replacing all PTO disks costs north of $1000 and that is just too much extra.

The dealer I got the sediment bowl from sold me a diaphragm kit that he adamantly claims is alcohol resistant. All I can do is trust him. I have seen the effects of alcohol on a non-resistant diaphragm. The non resistant diaphragm lasted one year before it blistered up and started leaking. It was on the 630 with a Westendorf loader the Albert City show uses on the grounds. I have had good luck with the diaphragms Roberts sells.

The dealer I got the sediment bowl from sold me a diaphragm kit that he adamantly claims is alcohol resistant. All I can do is trust him. I have seen the effects of alcohol on a non-resistant diaphragm. The non resistant diaphragm lasted one year before it blistered up and started leaking. It was on the 630 with a Westendorf loader the Albert City show uses on the grounds. I have had good luck with the diaphragms Roberts sells.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back