happen. Even the big box store boxes are more expensive
than what I would like. Not a professional mechanic, only work
on my own things. In the same respect I don’t want to waste
money on a piece of garbage ! I have quite a few tools, and
heavy drawers which is why I would like something with ball
bearing slides. My current bottom box has only regular slides
and they are wore and not up to the job. Anyone have one
and thoughts on them ?

I do not have one but in your case I would say GO FOR IT. According to HF's ad they are built just as good if not better than Snap on's. I think for the most part toolboxes are more or less all constructed to a universal standard with creature comfort being the deciding factor. That said I have considered them in the past but two design "flaws" prevent me from buying one. The last time I looked at them the drawer catch/retaining system is about a 6 inch clip/latch on one side of each drawer IIRC the right side where Snap on's and other brands have full drawer width latches. This allows for faster and easier drawer opening. The other problem I have is the drawers tend to be taller than Snap on's. This is personal preference, but to me a 40" 13 drawer toolbox is better than a 44" 9 drawer toolbox(I may be off on the number of drawers, but you get the idea). Near as I can tell or remember craftsman and HF had the same drawer sizes, so again for you it should be a good fit. HF are warrantied and as long as it has 100# rated slides you should be happy with it. My $.02

I have the box you are looking at drawer glides are ball bearings and open easy, the casters are not that great. That being said I have Mac boxs they are older and well built dont have the roller glides but good casters.

The thing that turned me off about the HF boxes was that they were not as deep as most. I bought the Husky benchtop style instead.

Once in place it won’t move ! Casters wheels aren’t a big deal
to me ! Thanks for the input !

That’s exactly what I was kinda thinking ! I need a decent box that won’t cost a fortune but will still work well ! I would really like to step up to bearing slides because of some of the weight. Thanks !

Assembly pics. HF boxes good enough for me.
mvphoto64171.jpg

mvphoto64172.jpg

mvphoto64173.jpg

mvphoto64174.jpg

Something I found out the hard way with a Home Depot box, a Husky I think, the drawers have no closed detent feature.

Trying to roll it the drawers constantly try to come open.

Other than that it has been a good set of boxes.

They will never be the quality of a mac/snap-on box, they will do for a DIY'er... HF are better than they use to be... I would not buy a new S.O. are mac unless it was a real deal 1/2 price are less... I have brought them from a dealer going out for 1/3 list price... That's about where you are gonna be with a good HF...

Any drawer less than 2" is a waist of a drawer in my opinion... I like'em 3" : )

If you decide to go with a box from Harbor Freight, I suggest that you examine it closely for shipping damage before you leave the store if at all possible.

I've read many stories of crunched corners, etc. that the buyer didn't notice until it was uncrated. They are well regarded on the garage/tool forum where I hang out.

Good luck with your search

I bought a harbor freight side box which is just fine for me.

I never move the roll cabinet with out closing all the drawers and locking them. A friend educated me when his entire box system overturned. And it was a huge box.

i have a HF and a snap on i'll take the HF any day over the snap on everything is smother better slides

I have that exact one and love it. It has rubber "detents" to hold the draws in which seat a bit hard (particularly in cold weather) for my tastes however 2 can be removed from the top draw (it has 4) and they can all be coated with silicon di-electric grease which makes them work as smooth as silk.

I have the 44" top and bottom and also the 72". Have had the 44 bottom for 5 or 6 years, and got the top new off craigslist for $100 two or three years ago. The 72" is a couple of years old. I have no gripes about them whatsoever. However as has been said, the casters are ok if you don't plan on moving it around, and the drawers are deeper now than when I got mine. I am in and out of them many times a day and they have held up well. I only wish the 72" had more deep drawers, as I use it only for woodworking tools and accessories, but it is fine for me. I did do a lot of looking around before I decided on these, it wasn't just a price purchase. I don't think you can beat them for the price or anywhere near it.

Just a thought.

Much like tractors one can never have too many tools.

Check out your local online classifieds and usually you can find brand name toolboxes often full of brand name tools for not much more than the price of a new box.

The extras can be sold, given to friends and family or put in tractors trucks and equipment as needed.

I have purchased several boxes like this over the years and each one was like a goldmine once you calculated the value in them.

I have the HF 44" top & bottom. Pleased with both. Ample room for me. Purchased 2 years ago.

Purchased the top at the Black Friday sale. When I asked about a bottom, the guys asked me if I was interested in a second. Looked at it and asked what the problem was. Showed me a couple runs in the paint. 20% off? I took it!

By the way, bring your flat bed trailer. Both pieces are total about 550 lbs shipping weight !

We got a chest and cabinet and put in the side door of our work van. Barely fit. Brutal on the boxes. Had to use tarp straps to keep drawers closed. They have held up very well. Hf boxes that we got have slides about half the size of my other boxes. This has been 4 years ago and on the road 5 days a week. Metal is better than a craftsman box that I have.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back