Tools: Looking to assemble a period correct kit

For my 63 4000. I actually have a few I have found at Estate Sales including the adjustable wrench and the open end / box end arched combo (Spark plug?) and a few combo open ends. I might even have the screw driver already in black handle. Just wondering what is correct. Ford script? Fomoco script? A repro tool box is in my future.
TIA.

Toolkits for FORD tractors were obsolete after the Hundred Series Models. Contents for the tools dwindled over the years. By the Hundred Series there were but only two
wrenches available -the 9N-17014 Plow Wrench and the spark plug/head bolt wrench. I have some N-Series toolkits if interested.

Tim Daley(MI)

Well that explains the lack of info out there for my vintage.lol. I think I have most of a 9N kit at this point. Might be missing an open end combo and am definitely missing the pliers. I will have to collect them all in one place to see.

The Ford tools changed versions over the years so depends what model tractor you have. Tools were used on all modules -cars, trucks, tractors, with each having its own
special tools but standards were used on all. The FORD Plow Wrench, for example, p/n 9N-17014 AND 9N-17040 were only unique to the tractors. The early 1939 & 1940
tractor tools included the seven hand tools but after 1941 the contents dwindled and only the 9N-17004 kit was offered. All other tools were offered as dealer options
however if you wanted. Other optional tools included the tire inflator, grease gun, jack & handle, and a HD canvas storm cover. The early 9N included a grease gun with
each new tractor then became an option after 1941. I was the editor of NAFTCO (National Ford Tool Collectors) for 5 years, an authorized FORD HISTORIAN, sold about 200
correct toolkits (Model T, Model A, FORDSON, JEEP, and N-Series), have a hefty collection of Ford Tools, and can help you with your kit search. I may have some extra
pliers. I have screwdrivers, plow, sparkies, and more. You do know the pliers used after April, 1940 were the 'bullet-style' version and never had a FORD script logo,
right? The open end wrenches also changed in April, 1940, as well as the Monkey Wrench. ALL N's had a plow wrench and spark plug wrench all thru production. By the end
of 8N Production these two tools were part of a shipping/parts kit. All other tools wer options. The tool versions used from April, 1940, were used thru the rest of N
production. With the NAA came the OHV engine and the spark plug tool was now a socket and handle, not the prior 01A-17017-B suitcase handle style tool. By the
Hundred Series only the plow wrench and spark plug wrench were available as dealer options only. The 9N-17014 Plow Wrench was actually invented by Harry Ferguson. He
designed and issued one in the 1936 Ferguson-Brown Type A tractor. He wanted a tool to fit the two most commons sizes on the plow and tractor -11/16 and 1-1/16. He no
doubt got the idea for the inch hash marks on the wrench from the 1800's tool made by the LaCrosse Plow Co. that had the inch markings. When he joined with Ford to
build the 9N he wanted only those two sizes on the tractor and plow. He was vetoed by Ford engineers. The tool had 10 as the length because that was the standard plow
size at the time.

FORD TRACTOR 9N-17004 TOOLKIT:
1gAzzYtl.jpg

7 HAND TOOLS, AFTER APRIL, 1940:
iYqY8JTl.jpg

LACROSSE PLOW WRENCH:
NBbwthd.jpg

LOOK FAMILIAR:
P3fy2C8l.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Wow! Thanks for all the detailed info. And I did not know the pliers were not marked. Might be why I'm not finding them, lol! Thanks again for the info and pics. This will help greatly.

Here is a listing out of an original 1956 Ford Parts and Accessories catalog of what tool applied to what models:

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back