All mechanical torque wrenches are calibrated from 20% to 100% of full scale, therefore, they should never be used below or above those limits
To determine which torque wrench capacity is best suited for an application, many factors must be considered. However, as a recommendation, use a torque wrench in the middle 50% of the overall capacity of the tool. This will result in longer tool life, ease of use for the operator and increased accuracy from "clicker" type torque wrenches
Always grasp handle firmly in the center of the grip
Approach final torque slowly and evenly
Stop pulling wrench immediately when target torque is reached
Never use a torque wrench to break fasteners loose
Should be cleaned and stored properly
Should always be stored at it’s lowest torque setting
Wrenches should be re-calibrated if dropped. Should never be used in excess of it’s capacity
Torque wrenches should be "exercised" a minimum of three times at 100% of full scale before use
The wrench selected should be calibrated in the same torque units that are specified
Use of a "cheater bar" will result in an inaccurate reading and can possibly damage the wrench
Torque wrenches will last longer if reasonable care is taken. Always unwind handle to the lowest setting after each use. Do not attempt to lubricate the internal torque mechanism. Clean torque wrench by wiping, do not immerse. The wrench should be sent to a qualified calibration lab once every year or every 5000 cycles for re-calibration
Link
http://www.cditorque.com/education.html#What
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench
I have never used a split beam so have no useful info...
I started out with a beam then graduated to a clicker..
It takes more than one to cover different ranges...
If I were gonna use in on a scooter I would have to have a in lb and a ft lb wrench...
12 in lb is 1 ft lb :wink: 35 ft lbs is 420 in lb...
35 in lbs is getting hign on the in lb scale
I would be looking at a 10 to 100 ft lb and a flex head at that...
PI and CDI are great choices... PI did make snap-on and I think Snap-on own's CDI...
A CDI with a snap-on head and stamp is double the price...It involves More folks in the food chain to feed and they all like to eat well...
My experience
Up to 100 in lb I prefer a beam so I can feel it...
From there I use a clicker... I still have my first Craftsman Beam it would be rare I would use it but it had got allot of use early on in my career...
I have a few clickers that I have worn out they make a nice long handle ratchet.. Out of all that I have I prefer a SK I spec they just feel good in my hand... They come out of there box do there job get reset and put back in the box immediately...
My Snap-on rep has a Torque wrench calibration checker on the truck
