tractor dies after idling - fuel smell

timsch

I finally got my 8N running recently after a 12v conversion and have been pleased with it overall, but one issue I've had is that it will die after it sits and idles for a couple of minutes, as if it's run out of gas. It just did it to me again and I checked the tank at there was plenty of fuel. The last time this happened it started again later in the day, so I hope that will be the case again.

When it dies, it seems like it is flooding. Is this an an idle jet issue? I've checked spark & fuel flow multiple times recently before converting to 12v, so it's unlikely that those are the problems here. Yes, I should check them again, and will, but what else could it be?

Does it have a front or side distributor?

Bottom line: as soon as the tractor stops running, not 5 minutes later, check for spark, fuel and battery voltage.

Does the tractor have a spark that will jump 1/4 in open air?*

Will the gas drain out of the carb bowl in a steady stream and fill a pint jar in less than 2 minutes?

What is the EXACT voltage at the battery? ( yes, you need a multimeter for that, not a worthless light)

How do I know this part is defective?

These are the questions you need answered before you attempt any repairs or buy a new part.

*If you dont own a spark checker w/ an adjustable gap ( NOT a light) buy one. In the meantime, an old spark plug w/ the gap opened to at least will work.
Ground it to a rust & paint free spot on the engine turn the key on & look for a spark.
75 Tips

So much for assumptions.

The tractor just started up and then died a couple of seconds later. I checked for fuel flow out the bottom of the carb, and it flowed for a couple of seconds and trickled to nothing. I'll pull off the carb and check it out.

This post was edited by timsch on 02/12/2023 at 02:00 pm.

No, not yet.

Remove the gas cap.

Next, if that doesn't work, remove the line from the carb. If it fills the pint jar in less than 2 minutes from the gas line, THEN pull the carb off.
75 Tips

(quoted from post at 18:31:36 02/12/23) No, not yet.

Remove the gas cap.

Next, if that doesn't work, remove the line from the carb. If it fills the pint jar in less than 2 minutes from the gas line, THEN pull the carb off.
75 Tips

True, thanks. I thought after posting that I should check flow from the line to the carb before pulling the carb off, but hadn't thought of the cap.

Electrical Systems, 6V, 12V, or 120V have nothing to do with Fuel. When you shut down the tractor do you close the Fuel Sediment Bulb Valve Stem all the way? Do it.
The Fuel Flow Test should always be done when the engine is COLD. A hot engine will ignite if fuel gets spilled on it. Did you clean the filters: The brass elbow fuel
inlet at the carb has a fine mesh screen filter that often gets neglected. Other fuel issues are listed by Bruce(VA).

xymfaKdl.jpg

awowtPul.jpg

ynLYhptl.jpg

EfzDERql.jpg

v8ej8sZl.jpg

FORD/M-S CARB MAIN NEEDLE VALVE & SEAT w/FLOAT:
SxMoVA1l.jpg
9M1B0kkl.jpg
SET FLOAT HEIGHT TO 1/4 MIN, 9/32 PREFERRED. USE A DRILL BIT AS A GAGE

Tim Daley(MI)

The fuel that flowed out was what was in the bowl then the fuel supply couldn't refill it. FIRST, remove the fuel cap and try it. No air in no fuel out, simple test. If still little or no fuel flow try opening the fuel valve all of the way and see if there's a change. Next shut the fuel and remove the glass bowl and the filter above it and try opening the fuel. No flow problem is in your tank screen. If you get flow and the screen from the bowl is clear pull the line off of the carburetor assemble the bowl and try again. Flow good pull the fitting on the carb and check the screen there. You can do this in any order as long as you verify flow in the fuel supply before you go pulling apart a good carburetor for no reason.

(quoted from post at 13:52:49 02/13/23)
I apologize for taking your time to respond in this thread. Thanks again for all that you do, and as always, I'll try to do better next time - hopefully much better.

This post was edited by timsch on 02/13/2023 at 12:53 pm.

At one time or another, we have all been there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back