Tractor model? 300, 350,400 How to tell

Looked at a row crop WFE gas tractor last week. no emblems, serial number plate is blank except 11886 S stamped into it. Has T/A and power steering. Rear tires are 15.5-38. Has fast hitch and PTO. This one has had head removed and left in field for 10 years and cylinders are full of dirt and trash. head and rockers left on ground outside also.
How can I tell which model it is? Looks to be about he size of an M, but its been a long time since i have been on one. Thanks,Jim.

(quoted from post at 22:17:42 06/27/16) Cylinder bore 4 or bigger for a 400

Aces, Thanks for the reply. The only thing I didnt measure as I was so shocked by the amount of dirt in the cylinders.
Is the rest of the tractor the same between the 300 and 400?
Jim.

If original,the block will have the cubic inches "stamped" in raised letters/ numbers on the rh side of the block just above the oil filter.
C169 300, C175 350, C264 400, C281 450.

(quoted from post at 22:56:34 06/27/16) If original,the block will have the cubic inches "stamped" in raised letters/ numbers on the rh side of the block just above the oil filter.

Thank you for the information. I will have the seller check the block number to see what model this machine is. Jim.

"This one has had head removed and left in field for 10 years and cylinders are full of dirt and trash. head and rockers left on ground outside also."

Are you buying it for the tires?

(quoted from post at 11:58:59 06/28/16) "This one has had head removed and left in field for 10 years and cylinders are full of dirt and trash. head and rockers left on ground outside also."

Are you buying it for the tires?

No, the tires are mismatched and one about 20% left.
Why do you ask, too much of a project?

Given the condition as you describe free might be too much if you are looking at putting it back to running condition. There are a lot of good running 400s/450s that at $1000 to $1500 would be a much better starting point for a restoration.

(quoted from post at 14:35:26 06/28/16) Given the condition as you describe free might be too much if you are looking at putting it back to running condition. There are a lot of good running 400s/450s that at $1000 to $1500 would be a much better starting point for a restoration.

I understand your point. I have many projects in the past where more $$$ were put into machine than could ever be recovered. I offered $400.00 to open. And many buyers have looked at the tractor and walked. The tractor /disc combo would be a nice addition, but I need to avoid the upside down senario. Thanks for the good advice. JIm.

(quoted from post at 22:56:34 06/27/16) If original,the block will have the cubic inches "stamped" in raised letters/ numbers on the rh side of the block just above the oil filter.

OK, so the owner checked the block and found C 281 above oil filter. So i assume a 450?
Also casting number above the engine size is 366980R2. Does this confirm the model as a 450? Thanks, Jim.

You missed a number in there, 356980R92. Biggest number of 400 used the same number as a 450. 281 would be for a 450 though.
a230707.jpg

(quoted from post at 21:38:15 06/28/16) You missed a number in there, 356980R92. Biggest number of 400 used the same number as a 450. 281 would be for a 450 though.
a230707.jpg

D Slater. Thanks for the reply. The first 6 could of easily been a 5 so I think its a match.
Is this engine a sleeve type cylinder or parent bore w/o sleeves. I am just thinking ahead if the tractor comes my way. If head is toast, are rebuilt or used heads available? Thanks, JIm.

(quoted from post at 10:54:48 06/29/16) Dry sleeve engine.

D Slater, Thanks for the reply. With the amount of dirt in the cylinders and being out so long, i was thinking the bore would be pitted beyond repair. Are sleeve / piston kits still available for this engine? Jim.

Parts easy to find. This site sells them and I figure if you search IH C-281 piston and sleeves you can find several places.
Have saved a engine set out like that before, but wouldn't do it again if the camshaft followers are rusted up in the block bores really bad.

Jim, its certainly your time and money but I would think hard about that 450 as a project. Three months ago I bought a 450,the rear tires are 80-90%, makes very little smoke, and until I burned up the starter was on its way to a tuneup. The only thing it needed when I got it was front tires. I've got about a grand in it. I watched craigslist for several months and saw many M's and H's for about the same price. I found Charlene about 130 miles away, widening my search going out farther and farther away. I found a M closer but it needed rear tires and didn't want to drop a grand on tires.
Just food for thought.

It might be worth $400 as a parts tractor or to buy it and put an entirely different c-281 in it.
That motor would be essentially scrap to me. You'd spend more on the engine than you would to just find another C-281. Could probably source an engine from a salvage yard in much better rebuildable condition.

(quoted from post at 00:20:29 06/30/16) Parts easy to find. This site sells them and I figure if you search IH C-281 piston and sleeves you can find several places.
Have saved a engine set out like that before, but wouldn't do it again if the camshaft followers are rusted up in the block bores really bad.
Thanks, And I wouldn't know how bad it was until I opened the engine up.

Thanks, That is why I am holding at my offer until the seller meets some other potential buyers and reality of its true value sets in. I think seller feels i have "lowballed "him. Probably a friend told him what the tractor is worth. Jim.

PF, Thanks for the advice. There are some salvage yards around here to check on the availability. Its really a shame the owner let someone tear this down and leave parts out and engine open. Most mechanics would at least set the head back on with the valve cover to keep it clean. Jim.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back