Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
The student has returned! I have a few questions about the history of tractors.

The first is what was the first tractor to offer an electric start?
The second is what was the first tractor to offer an engine that ran on LP?
What was the first tractor to use a uni front wheel?
 
(quoted from post at 06:28:35 04/09/08) The student has returned! I have a few questions about the history of tractors.

The first is what was the first tractor to offer an electric start?
The second is what was the first tractor to offer an engine that ran on LP?
What was the first tractor to use a uni front wheel?

#1. Moline Universal Model D
#2. Minneapolis Moline U in 1941
#3. Not sure, but would guess an Oliver 18-27. You do mean a single front wheel, right?

JoshuaGA
 
Early Holt Brothers tract layers ( for runner to the Caterpillar) had a single front steering wheel in 1912 maybe earlier not sure.
Walt
<a href="http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/WaltDavies/Brooks%202007/?action=view&current=Brooks2007021.jpg" target="_blank">
Brooks2007021.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
Walt, there is a guy who built from scratch one of these Holt's or Best's, drawing a blank on the exact model now, was on ACMOC or ACME forums recently, somewhere in the era of the one in your photo, might even be slightly earlier, don't matter though, it's similar in size, has the 2 big flywheels near the operator seat. I think it had the single wheel in front. I believe it was built from old drawings or research, by a fellow your age. I don't think there is one left in existence, talk about bringing old iron back to life, really impressive work from what I saw of the photos, it will be at the Woodland show this year.
 
Here is the one I saw it is a "1906 Holt Steam Crawler, produced by Don Hunter" and the link to the upcoming show is attached.

This has to be a great show to see an enjoy, I'd enjoy seeing it, or being a part of it, might just have to figure a way to get out there to see this one, don't think you will see these tractors any other place, + they planted some 30 acres of wheat to harvest with the old equipment, they have been working all along to get ready for this show, probably over 1 year.
Best Show On Tracks
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top