Tractor Sale Gone Sour. What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old saying that, friends will get rid of your money and money will get rid of your friends is often true.
Another old saying is people screw their friends because they can’t get close enough to their enemies. But to David, I would give him back the money, if you could afford it , and go the high road like TRK says. Then later if he runs his mouth to others, he can speak only lies.

I wish I could sell things on installment and keep using them until paid off and picked up. You just got an interest free loan,give him the money back. It would be a horse of different color if he had been using the tractor all along.

I bought a non-running Ferguson cheap a few years ago. Did some fixing and tinkering and turned it into a good running and working little tractor that isn't all that pretty but I've seen worse.

Now, last spring a guy I've known and dealt with for years asked if I'd sell it. I had been thinking of selling it so I thought about it for a while then told him I would and I put a price on it.

He said he'd take it if he could leave it here and make payments on it then take it when it was paid for.

Well, I didn't really want to do that but I've known him for years so I reluctantly said okay.

Anyway, he paid 200 bucks down on the spot and then started paying 100 bucks a month on it, he lives on small pensions.

Long story short, he's paid a bit over half on it but has now decided he doesn't want it and wants his money back.

I'm not happy.

What would you do?
Wouldn't hesitate to give it all back but that's just me. Splitting hairs, you had the use of the money so return the principle.

I wish I could sell things on installment and keep using them until paid off and picked up. You just got an interest free loan,give him the money back. It would be a horse of different color if he had been using the tractor all along.

Lol, what gave you that idea?

As soon as he put the deposit down the tractor went in the back corner of the shed and sits there to this day.

I bought a non-running Ferguson cheap a few years ago. Did some fixing and tinkering and turned it into a good running and working little tractor that isn't all that pretty but I've seen worse.

Now, last spring a guy I've known and dealt with for years asked if I'd sell it. I had been thinking of selling it so I thought about it for a while then told him I would and I put a price on it.

He said he'd take it if he could leave it here and make payments on it then take it when it was paid for.

Well, I didn't really want to do that but I've known him for years so I reluctantly said okay.

Anyway, he paid 200 bucks down on the spot and then started paying 100 bucks a month on it, he lives on small pensions.

Long story short, he's paid a bit over half on it but has now decided he doesn't want it and wants his money back.

I'm not happy.

What would you do?
Tell him to pay you off,or keep the money and sell it to someone else

I'm not happy.

What would you do?

I'm not happy.

What would you do?
Last Spring was there anyone else ready to pay close to the final sale price for the tractor? Today can you sell the tractor for the original sale price? Are you willing to renegotiate the sale price down and let the buyer have the tractor for just the payments received so far? People's financial and health situations can sometimes change drastically over a short time.

If you are not destitute, I would simply refund all the money received, sell the tractor to a different cash-in-hand buyer maybe at a lower price, and chalk the whole thing up to experience.

If you still want to try to force the sale to completion, I would talk to a local lawyer first and listen very closely to the advice the lawyer gives.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I'm not happy.

What would you do?
Sounds like he is flakey - and rather stupid to boot - for showing you his new bought dog.
If you can afford it, give him his $ back.
Here is my thinking: if you force the sale and the tractor ends up Not running like a brand new one for 10 years he will always have an angle to tell people you knowingly sold him a tractor that was not as advertised.
Then it will become a situation of his word against yours and will cloud what is now a clear case of Him going back on his word.

Something has come up and now he needs the money he's already paid you worse than he needs your tractor. If you refuse to refund him his money, it's not going to change that situation. He's already homed in on that money as the solution to whatever his problem is. If you don't give him his money back you'll never hear the end of it.

On the other hand, if you give him a full refund he'll go away and hopefully stop bothering you. He may or may not come back in the future and try to buy your tractor again, but you don't have to agree to sell it on the same terms.

Your choice. I know what I'd do.

Okay, after sleeping on it I've decided what I'm going to offer to do.

I'll be talking to him Monday or Tuesday I expect. I'll update on what transpires then.

Thanks for everyones input.

You have a handsome opportunity here to continue to be one of the "stand-up guys" in the community. You are really not "out" anything, and you don't know what hardship may have recently come upon him. God is Good!

You have a handsome opportunity here to continue to be one of the "stand-up guys" in the community. You are really not "out" anything, and you don't know what hardship may have recently come upon him. God is Good!

When I asked him what was going on that he needs to back out of the deal he said, "Nothing's wrong, I just don't want it any more."

Let's leave religion out of the discussion shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back