tractor shovel

john *.?-!.* cub owner

Well-known Member
The guy who bought our farm has a Michigan 35A Tractor Shovel made by Clarke of Canada. It has blown a head gasket, but we cannot figure out who made the engine. There are no emblems or name on it. I did find B23 V cast into the block and what appears to be a serial number of F???C???V It is a 6 cylinder flat head engine that bears a resemblance to old Chevy engines. The distributor sticks straight up out of the head between the number 2 and 3 cylinders. I am guessing the vintage between the early 50s and late 60s. Does anyone have any idea where to find info on this rig so he can get a head gasket?
Thanks
 
Wellll...a 78 Fel Pro catalog shows under Clark Ind'l Equip, in what seems to be ?? Michigan listings, a 35A and 35B that came with a Cont F226 or a "GMC" (Detroit Diesel) 3-53.
The Cont's did like to run the dist up out of the head, but I have no pic of it, nor do I have any casting # indexes. The F226 is a 6cyl flathead 35/16 x 43/8=226cid.
Oh, wait: a 2006 Fram shows the 35A SERIES Michigan with the above two engines AND the Cont F244 (37/16 x 43/8=244cid) AND the Wauk 190GLB (33/4 x 4) but I don't think Wauk ran distributors up thru the head.
If nothing more definite shows up, can you take the old gasket to a parts store that has them for the 226 and 244 to compare?? If your local parts places don't have them, there're places that handle obsolete gaskets I can advise. Good luck.
Note: Or you can repost under "need engine ID", with a pic of your old gasket, and almost certainly get a lot more attention...
 
John
Definitely a Continental F600 series. The head gasket will be the same for the 6 cylinder engines, but is most likely a F226... Gene
 
I believe we have found the info needed, it appears it would be either an F226 or F244, and both use the same head gasket according to the local parts place, so unless we find more problems, the problem is taken care of. Thanks everyone.
 
John ---

You might want to lake a cut off the head and check the block too make sure there flat........to keep from blowing another gasket.......Don
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top