Tractor tire chain sizing

JerryLook

I have a Ford 3000 with 13.6x28 tires. Im shopping around for used tire chains, whats a good length and width to look for? New chains are too much money.

Ive been using the tractor to move snow, and Im very traction limited. Loaded rear tires and a Farmi winch hanging on the 3 pt for extra weight. I do have the 1200 lbs pie wheel weights that are not installed at the moment.

Tractor has a Ford 730 loader on it, so that puts a lot of weight on the front. I do have a diff lock, which helps. But sometimes I just sit there and spin both tires. Im thinking chains might help.

(quoted from post at 11:03:12 01/20/22) I have a Ford 3000 with 13.6x28 tires. Im shopping around for used tire chains, whats a good length and width to look for? New chains are too much money.

Ive been using the tractor to move snow, and Im very traction limited. Loaded rear tires and a Farmi winch hanging on the 3 pt for extra weight. I do have the 1200 lbs pie wheel weights that are not installed at the moment.

Tractor has a Ford 730 loader on it, so that puts a lot of weight on the front. I do have a diff lock, which helps. But sometimes I just sit there and spin both tires. Im thinking chains might help.

Measure the circumference of your tires for length. Measure across the full tread width and halfway down the sidewall for with. Those measurements should give you what you need to check out used chains.

Ok thats easy enough. I didnt know if there was supposed to be some overlap or not. Ive never used chains before.

Tire chains go by tire size, not by measurements. There is no reference for measurements and nobody bothers to measure their chains either... So measurements are pretty much useless.

If the seller can't tell you what tire size they fit, then the best you can do is go with the number of links in each cross chain (not including the hook) and the number of cross chains.

This is an excellent reference for that. First figure out what style of new chain matches what you're looking at, and then look up its part number in this chart.

https://lacledechain.com/tire-chain-specs/

Example: 13.6x28 uses a Roadmaster #0859 chain, which uses a 7420 cross chain with 16 links across, and 15 cross chains per tire.

(quoted from post at 11:21:54 01/20/22) Tire chains go by tire size, not by measurements. There is no reference for measurements and nobody bothers to measure their chains either... So measurements are pretty much useless.

If the seller can't tell you what tire size they fit, then the best you can do is go with the number of links in each cross chain (not including the hook) and the number of cross chains.

This is an excellent reference for that. First figure out what style of new chain matches what you're looking at, and then look up its part number in this chart.

https://lacledechain.com/tire-chain-specs/

Example: 13.6x28 uses a Roadmaster #0859 chain, which uses a 7420 cross chain with 16 links across, and 15 cross chains per tire.

I don't disagree new tire chains are sold by the tire size they fit. However, if he is chasing used chains and the seller can't tell him what size tire they were on, the length and width is a quick starting point to decide if they are within a range to pursue in more detail or not, as you suggest. JMHO

You're right. New is pretty pricey.
Used at auction, they don't seem to
sell for much. In my country, at
auction, they usually sell them laying
in a pile with no mention as to what
they fit. I usually just buy used ones
extra longer than I need, and simply
cut off the extra when I go to
install. Saves playing the guessing
game as to what the heck there suppose
to fit when buying, and just what
exact length you need to fit your
wheels.
Been to countless estate auctions
where somebody had 5 tractors with
different wheel sizes, and only one
set of chains. And no one knew what
tractor the chains fit on. Pile would
sell for $1. Maybe 5 or 10 if 2 iron
scrappers were there.
Buy long. You'll know they can be made
to fit. Just cut em to length at
installation.

Upstate NY, between Syracuse and Watertown.

Thats great advice about buying chains that are longer and cutting to length. I didnt think about that.

I talked to my dad and he offered up some chains that came with his 8N, but I think they would be too narrow and short. It has 12.4x28 tires. Ill have to measure them.

(quoted from post at 08:34:40 01/20/22) I don't disagree new tire chains are sold by the tire size they fit. However, if he is chasing used chains and the seller can't tell him what size tire they were on, the length and width is a quick starting point to decide if they are within a range to pursue in more detail or not, as you suggest. JMHO

I just zoom in on the picture and count the links and cross chains to figure that out. No picture? I don't even waste my time.

Couldn't tell you what the circumference of my tires are, and I'm not going to jack the tractor up to find out.

This web site actually gives dimensions of the chains. Pick your tire size and style of chain and you can see the dimensions they use. Might make searching so much easier when most listings just give an length and width.
AaronSEIA
https://lacledechain.com/

(quoted from post at 15:35:38 01/20/22) This web site actually gives dimensions of the chains. Pick your tire size and style of chain and you can see the dimensions they use. Might make searching so much easier when most listings just give an length and width.
AaronSEIA
https://lacledechain.com/

Ok thanks. So it says for my size tire the chain is approx 123 long and 23 1/2 wide.

I measured the set at my dads, and theyre 122 at the longest adjustment point, and only 18 wide. So the length is probably ok, but are they wide enough?

Theyre this style

mvphoto87200.jpg

They would be long enough but you would probasbly have about 3-4 down on the sidewall of the tire. Would be worth trying and if they stay on good and if don't stay on then that will tell you the cross chains are not long enough. But depending on how the cross chains are fastened you may be able to loosen them and just add a couple of links of chain you can buy at hardware store. But those chains are not designed for an ag bar tire as I am told the cross chains will slip inbetween the bars and not hit the ice, I suppose it depends on type and amount of tread. I had the style with the cross bars every other bar fastened together with a couple of links. Could modify with that hardware store chain as well. But that style is mostly for turf tires. but things can be modified to work.

Try them to see if they fit ok. If they do, you can pick up some links to modify those ladder chains to the "Dou" chain style, to keep some chain on top of your tread bars instead of down between them. The Duo style looks like this.
mvphoto87204.jpg

I had a set of chains for 12.4X2 tires. I simply bought a pail of 1/4 chain and we lengthened and widened them to fit 15.5X38 tires. Used 15.5X38 chains were nowhere to be found at the time, so we modified the ones we had to fit.

Im going to try this set of chains on the tractor over the weekend. From laying them over the tire I think the only issue might be that theyre narrower than Id like. Since these are free, maybe Ill think about lengthening or widening them to work.

Also I like the idea of adding chain links between the bars. My main purpose right now is to get more tractor in the snow, but this tractor is used the rest of the time for skidding logs out of the woods. So maybe chains would help me out some there as well.

A couple questions. First, why do I see people with a bunch of bungees holding the tire chains on? Youll see 4 or 5 bungees run across the rim, holding the chains tight. Is this the way its supposed to be done, or is this actually a fitment issue and the bungees are a bandaid?

When I install the chains I assume I lay them out flat and run them over with the tractor. When the rear tires are centered on the chains I can attach them. Is there any benefit to using a ratchet strap to get them pretty tight? Or do I not want them that tight?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

In my area at auction used chains just went for $160 plus 21% buyers premium. I know half the cost of new but still out of my reach for something I already have.

(quoted from post at 22:40:45 01/20/22) Im going to try this set of chains on the tractor over the weekend. From laying them over the tire I think the only issue might be that theyre narrower than Id like. Since these are free, maybe Ill think about lengthening or widening them to work.

Also I like the idea of adding chain links between the bars. My main purpose right now is to get more tractor in the snow, but this tractor is used the rest of the time for skidding logs out of the woods. So maybe chains would help me out some there as well.

A couple questions. First, why do I see people with a bunch of bungees holding the tire chains on? Youll see 4 or 5 bungees run across the rim, holding the chains tight. Is this the way its supposed to be done, or is this actually a fitment issue and the bungees are a bandaid?

When I install the chains I assume I lay them out flat and run them over with the tractor. When the rear tires are centered on the chains I can attach them. Is there any benefit to using a ratchet strap to get them pretty tight? Or do I not want them that tight?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

They will probably fit but they won't give you the traction you need for the woods. You want double ring chains. There are some on FB Marketplace in your area. I'm north of you near Ogdensburg. I'm watching for the same thing. There are no more cheap chains it seems.

The bungees are to keep the chains from flopping around so much when you are going at more than a crawl. Loose chains can tear up a fender in a heartbeat. In snow/ice you don't want them super tight across the tire, they need a little play. I mud they need to be looser so they will clean themselves more. It's a balancing act.

Chains need to have enough width to be down on the tire side wall at least 6 inches, more is better. I ran a set of chains for a 15.5 38 on a 18'4 34, it worked but I had to keep them tight and I threw them a couple times. When you throw a chain it will be in the worst possible place and the worst time. I bought the correct chains for the 4020 and put the other chains back on the 3020. Money will spent. <With the correct chains I can run them a little looser which lets them clean better. You will love chains for working in the woods. Keep your speed within reason and if you are driving over loose sticks keep an eye out a chain will occasionally bring up a <stick. I am in the process of putting chains on my MF 202, I had bought a couple unknown sets at an auction the one set was a
little short so I cut some pieces out of the other to lengthen.

I threw the chains over one of the tires to see how the width looks. From what youre saying these are too narrow.

mvphoto87221.jpg

mvphoto87222.jpg

I have read countless threads on forums like this, and watched countless videos of guys struggling for HOURS to put on a simple pair of tire chains.

They make the job WAY TOO HARD. Working with Dad we could put a set of chains on a tractor in 10-15 minutes. I did it myself for the first time here around New Years and I don't think it took me much, if any, longer.

Get the chain laid out flat with all the twists out of it. Back up to the chain with the tractor. Take the end of the chain and throw it up on the back of the tire as high as you can. Once you get above the axle the chain will hang on a lug by the first cross chain. Make sure the cross chain hooks are facing away from the tire, hooking "out." If not you gotta flip the chain over and do it again.

Once you have the chain hanging on the tire, get on the tractor and slowly drive forward. It helps to have someone spreading the chain over the tire as you drive, but you can jump off 1-2 times and do it yourself without losing much time. Keep going until the chain comes around under the tire.

Attach the side chains as tight as you can get them. Inside first, then outside. Try to hook them in the same link on both. They usually won't be as tight as they can possibly be, that comes next.

Get back on the tractor and drive around a bit. This will get the chain distributed over the tire evenly and you'll probably be able to gain an additional link or two of tightness in the side chains. Again, shorten the inside first and then the outside. Why? Because you can grab the outside chain and really "reef" on it to pull the slack out.

We have never felt the need for the "spiders" to tighten the chains.

(quoted from post at 07:57:52 01/21/22) I threw the chains over one of the tires to see how the width looks. From what youre saying these are too narrow.

mvphoto87221.jpg

mvphoto87222.jpg

First, you have the chains on upside down.
Second, they do look a little narrow but you've got nothing to lose by seeing if they will link up. Get them tight enough and they will stay on. It's a LOT of work to lengthen the side chains, and whatever you use will never wear as good as the twist chain that's there.

These chains are too short. If I wanted to extend them and maybe add another crossbar, how do I connect the new chain? I imagine quick links are too weak for this.

Can you connect the new chain with short bolts and nuts?

I think theyre about a foot too short. If I could add a section to each one, and one more crossbar that would get me by until I can find some nicer chains.

If I can make something that will fit, Ill measure the length of those. I feel like maybe I measured the chains I have wrong. I measured from the end of the chain to the hook.

I was watching a YouTube video where a guy was modifying his chains. He was adding sections. He cut the link with a grinder and then spread it open in the vice with pliers and then squeezed it back once it was on. Then he welded the gap shut once they were all installed. That sounds like it should work just fine.

I forgot this site doesnt show most punctuation. Haha.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back