Trade value? Oliver 66 Wide

FarmallCT

Hi all,

Looking for some price and repair advice for a Oliver 66 Widefront. I have not had a Oliver before, and do not know much about them, so I would appreciate any help and advice that can be given.

I have been offered this as a trade for my Farmall H. It is in good shape, ran this summer, currently not running due to cultivator lift not being in right. Trying to figure out what its worth. The H I have runs and drives, just needs battery and generator.

As far as the repair, I talked to the previous owner who was restoring it before he ran out of time. Was supposedly taking out the cultivator lift to put in a hydraulic pump (ended up being wrong pump), and since the casting is all one piece, could not get the shifter forks to line up when putting it back together. How hard of a problem is this to fix? He had tried 3-4 times to get it in right but couldn't, and the tractor can't be run until it is in properly.

As a side note, I was initially being offered by the same person a case VAC and AC Rotary mower. Trying to figure out what would be a fair deal for both of us as a trade for the H. Primarily interested in the 66, though I am not exactly enthusiastic about trading a running and driving tractor for one that I cannot see run and drive as well. I feel like the 66 and mower would be fair since the 66 is not runable, but since I am unfamiliar with either thought it would be worth asking about.

Thanks in advance,

FarmallCT
a254959.jpg

a254960.jpg

a254962.jpg

a254963.jpg

The H is not running. The Oli is not running. The H is a known issue. The Oli is opaque to being a runner. The Case is much smaller, and the cutter has no drive shaft and would task the Case radically. Keep the H and fix it. Jim

The H does run.

I am not so much interested in the Case as it is small and they are hardly worth anything around here. The cutter does have a shaft which is not shown.

The H's and most letter series Farmalls have also dropped significantly in value around here, most people are moving towards the 100's and up series as far as collecting and restoring. I've always been interested in the Oliver's, figured I'd try to go for that than take such a low price for the H. Kind of interested as it is a bit less common, as almost every other tractor guy around here has a H or two.

FarmallCT

A running 66 with a nice wide front like that should be worth more than the H. If the story on the trany is accurate it shouldn't be hard to fix. In equal condition I would certainly prefer the 66 anyway.

(quoted from post at 21:02:45 01/26/18) You can fix the shifter in about 10 minutes!
Front end on the 66 doesn't look all welded up so that's a bonus Does he have the side curtains and radiator cap cover? 3 point? I forgot to look. I see Hs all the time. Never see any 66 wide front out here.

A 66 is a nice tractor, especially with a wide front. Is more valuable than an H once running as well. The cultivator lift casting on the 66 dies cover the shifting rails, but, it can be set in place without the shifter in it, as the shifter is held on with 2 bolts. Make sure the shifting rails are lined up, take the shifter off from the cultivator lift, reinstall the lift, then stick the shifter back on. A hydraulic unit for a 66 can only come off a 66 series, the ones off a 77 or 88 won't fit. A hydraulic unit for a 66 will be hard to find, and or expensive. If you don't like the power lift, you can buy a cover that will go in place of the power lift. I have a 66 WF and it's one of my favorite tractors. One of dad's favorites is his 660 WF. There is 3 66's, a super 66, and a 660 on our farm.

Ross

An H going by does not even warrant my attention, there seem to be so many. Don't get me wrong they are a nice tractor with a terrific roadgear. But an Oliver not nearly as common plus they have eye appeal, the wide front sets it off even more. If you can get the mower and the Ollie for the H, that's a great trade. A good trade would be tractor for tractor. You might even throw in the bat and alternator. I suspect you are going downhill on roadgear topend though. gobble

I think the 66 should have live PTO (77 & 88 do). Power would be 2/3 of an 77, about 25HP Nebraska tractor test #412. Farmal H is Nebraska tractor test #333. The lack of hydraulics hurts a lot, if the 66 had hydraulics it would be live hydraulics if the PTO is live. Does incompatible hydraulic unit come with the 66?

IMHO, if the other guy can get the 66 back together and running with the cultivator lift, an even swap for the H would seem fair or maybe you throw in some money.

Without the 66 running it looses 1/2 of its value. I would hold out for the 66, the mower and either some cash or the Case VAC to trade for the running H. Those little VACs can do a lot for their size - 20 HP with hydraulics? Nebraska tractor tests #430 & #431.

The Oliver is a lot more collectable. It also has a lot more value when running. You can find "H" tractors all over the place and they do not bring much money. In my opinion if you end up trading even up, "H:" for the Oliver you would be better off. If you need a rotary mower then try to get it and the Oliver even for your "H". The pull type mower is not that valuable either for resale but if you need it then go for it.

As for fixing the Oliver. Like an earlier poster said it is an easy fix for putting it back. I will second finding the correct hydraulic lift for it will be harder/costlier to do. If your just going to shows and such do you need the hydraulic lift???

The 66 is worth a lot more than the H and will easily sell for 2X what the H would from what I've seen sold.The AC cutter isn't worth much if working getting a PTO shaft will cost some $$
too.If you do get the 66 I have one here I've been thinking of parting out that has hydraulics.

To answer some of the other comments, a 66 does have live pto. A 66 will not go anywhere near as fast as an H, but unless you're hauling wood from the back 40, 10 miles down the road, it'd be fine. With 6 forward speeds, and 2 reverse, you can find a gear that fits your needs much better than the 5/1 that an H has. I'd guess the road speed on a 66 is 12-15 mph, where our H will run 24-25 mph. Our one 66 had a crank driven hydraulic pump on it that worked very well, I took it off to clean up the cobble job of plumbing it had on it when we got it, and just haven't put it back on yet since we don't use it much as a working tractor anymore.

Ross

30+ years ago, I overhauled an IH "H" for my dad. I put some M&H domed pistons in it to really wake it up. We were always putting up wood every winter weekend and my dad managed to find a buzz saw for that H. (My brother still has the H and the buzz saw) That being said, the only way I'd be in favor of the H is it you need to get down the road quickly with it, like my dad did with the buzz saw. You can't pull much of a load up a hill in high gear with the H and you don't have the brakes to stop much of a load going downhill with the H.
I'd take that 66 over the H in a heartbeat.

VACs are the Rodney Dangerfield of tractors. They get no respect. I really like mine. More capable than you think they are and really handy. But as you said not worth much. No one seems to want them.

I like both the 66 and the H so I say keep one and buy the other!! No input on the rotary cutter. Now those Case vac went nuts around me and at one time they were not worth scrap. Not a bad little tractor but I never wanted one.

Some interesting replies. When growing up had two neighbors that were Oliver guys. There was a 70, 77's and a 88 among them. They had boys too so never got to drive one. Sounds like to me the Oliver salesman was asleep. Should of been more of them around. We had a M and dad always said a H wouldn't pull the hat off of you head.

An H running 24-25 MPH, what are you dreaming the top speed is more like the 15 MPH, I know as I had one. Oliver I do not know about but NO WAY will an H ever do over 20 MPH on the road.

Farmallct, I see that tractor is not that far from me. I have pulled the shifters on my 77's a few times and put them back in and they worked. You need to not lose the 2 springs into the transmission and not that scary! You need to pull the PTO drive shaft out of the back of the tractor its not that hard either.
a254983.jpg

a254984.jpg

a254985.jpg

Good chance that pump will fit,but you have to cut the end off a shaft in there to put it in,in place of the mechanical lift.

I am definately leaning towards taking the 66, just worried if there are any other problems I can't see. The AC Cutter does have the PTO shaft just not on it. If you do part your 66 I would be interested.

That is certaintly reassuring to hear! Where are the two springs located so I would know what to look for when pulling it out? I don't remember him mentioning having to pull the PTO shaft to remove the lift but you are probably right. I am most nervous simply as I have not worked on a Oliver before, and have thankfully not had to take any transmissions apart on any of mine. Just want to make sure I'll be able to put it back together right!

I have 3 Farmall H's in the shed. They go on tractor rides every year. All three are in the 18-20 mph category. My Case 411 runs 15-17, those H's leave me in the dust. just my experience, 24mph maybe not but definitely more than 15. again just my experience and gps reading. gobble

FarmallCT, When you take the 2 bolts out of the shift tower the 2 springs are under there so lift straight up carefully.
a255067.jpg

I made a piece of sheet metal to slip under the springs, as not to drop them in the trans. I think the shop manual calls for the metal shim.. I will look, seems like manual even give picture and dimensions of shim.

OK, found it in the manual: If my scanner was working I would scan page from manual
Sheet medal made to dimensions is: 5"wide X 4" long, slot cut in middle of the 5" side, 3/4" wide and 2 7/16" deep, 2 1/8 on each side of slot.

On second thought...that 66 isn't worth much. Maybe I should go get it and save you from another addiction. :p
66 wf are nice tractors although they really are not much smaller than a 77. They are not nearly as nimble as a nf but more collectable. Sounds like the guy working on probably shouldn't of been. I think you will find it easy to repair.

I'm sure glad your scanner is working, I haven't had time to get mine going on this laptop. Not high on the priority list..

Keith, I don't have a scanner but my wife used her phone after I tried with my camera. We will have been married for 18 years and she still puts up with my Oliver obsession!

I took pictures with my cell phone, but the phone is smarter than I am, couldn't get them to up load off phone. One of the days I will figure out how to put pic on web off the cell phone.

Around here,the Oliver 66 would have been a guy's main tractor. An H would have been that second tractor that was used to rake hay,cultivate and pull wagons.

Can't remember for sure since I haven't pulled a power lift in a while, but I don't remember having to pull the PTO to remove the powerlift?

You've never driven my H. With 13.6 tires and a little over on rpm, it will run that anytime it's on the road in 5th gear wide open.

Correct. Doesn't have the curtains, supposedly the cap cover/band from front up to there was on the tractor according to previous owner, have to ask. No 3 pt. Would need
the hydraulics for that.

I think it's too late for that, the addiction is real :p

They really do seem pretty nice, just never had many Olivers in the area. I have a F-20 wide and it steers like a dream. The guy seemed to know what he was doing but just
ran out of time to figure it out, had bigger things to worry about with his dairy farm and other tractors that could do the same thing. I hope it is as easy as most seem
to imply, that is the only thing making me so cautious on this tractor since I am unfamiliar with it.

Thank you, I saw the pictures from the book you uploaded and if I get the tractor (which I believe I will do) I will do it as instructed above. Hopefully won't have to go fishing for springs in the transmission, but might just take the entire unit off to make sure everything else was put in correctly.

(quoted from post at 22:07:07 01/27/18) Can't remember for sure since I haven't pulled a power lift in a while, but I don't remember having to pull the PTO to remove the powerlift?
You have to pull the PTO drive shaft as in goes through the pump on the hydraulic lift. That is why/how they have live hydraulics.

(quoted from post at 21:13:11 01/27/18)
(quoted from post at 22:07:07 01/27/18) Can't remember for sure since I haven't pulled a power lift in a while, but I don't remember having to pull the PTO to remove the powerlift?
You have to pull the PTO drive shaft as in goes through the pump on the hydraulic lift. That is why/how they have live hydraulics.
Power lift may be different than hydraulics. May just be gear drive. Would have to look at book.

RBoots, Your right you can take the mechanical lift off without pulling the PTO shaft but I think he wants the hydraulic lift to put in its place.

FarmallCT, Laurens is not that far from me! I jumped a few hills from my house to get there. From the Craigslist picture I think I drove by that barn.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back