Trailer brakes

jon f mn

How about a post on trailer brakes. Since the main brake types are hydraulic and electric, with not many air brakes for personal trailers, I'll stick to those two.

As far as what's legally required, that varies from state to state some. Most states require brakes on trailers over 3,000 pounds. Some say 1 axle is good enough, some say all axles are required. Check the rules where you live to make sure you have that right. If you have brakes most states also require a brake away kit, this is a battery that activates the brakes if the trailer comes unhooked from the tow vehicle.

First hyd. brakes since they are less common. I don't like and don't recommend hyd. brakes because they are a lot more expensive, and in my experience no more reliable. I never recommend surge brakes for the simple reason that sooner or later you will be on a slippery surface, whether it's water, mud or ice, and when that happens and your tow vehicle slides it can't activate the trailer brakes, leaving you doubly "up the creek". You can get electric over hyd. units, but they are very spendy and still require a brake controller in the vehicle, as well as a break away kit. As far as reliability goes, in my experience unless you use your trailer weekly you will have as many or more problems with hyd. brakes as electric brakes that are done properly. The problem is moisture. Just like a tractor that sits, hyd. brake systems collect water, and if they sit for a long time this causes rust. Once that happens repairs are more costly than electric. The only advantage for hyd. is a bit smoother braking. At least those are my experiences.

Now electric. The most important part of an electric braking system is the wiring.If your having problems, it's about a 90% chance you have a wiring problem. Most commercially built trailers don't have a dedicated ground for the brakes, so that is the first place to look. When I build a trailer I used a simple 2 wire extension cord to wire the system. They have better wire than the automotive type wire from auto parts stores, and have better covering, making for easier installation and longer life. For connecting the wiring, if you want it to last, don't use any kind of crimp connectors. Lot's of folks solder the connections, and that is good as long as you use rosin core solder and not acid core. Acid core solder or flux will corrode the wires. What I use is what electricians have been using for decades, wire nuts. I just make sure not to over strip the wires so the coating ends close to the nut, then fill the nut with silicone, making sure it goes all the way to the wire coating. Then I dip the whole thing in some liquid rubber to give it a final seal. They have small cans of the liquid rubber at auto parts and hardware stores. I've had very good luck with this system, and it has the advantage over soldering of easy repairs. One further hint, if you use your trailer a lot and wear out your brakes from time to time, you've probly noticed that your left front brake wears faster than the rest. That's a wiring problem as well. If the wire comes down the left side of the trailer, and makes the first splice at that wheel, then crosses over and back to the rear, finally crossing to the right rear, the first wheel gets the most electrical power, with each wheel after getting less. Most don't notice it, but if you use the brakes hard and a lot it can make the first wheel wear out faster than the rest. The solution if you want to bother is to splice in the middle and run individual wires to each wheel.

To diagnose a problem the place to start is at the plug. Make sure it's not corroded. If you live in the salt belt, or drive through it, you can expect to put a new plug on every year. I suggest doing it every spring. You run in the salt and get corrosion, if you don't change in the spring you could start having problems early summer, you start with spraying the plug with wd40 or something, and fight it til fall when your frustration gets the best of you and you finally change it. Then go through winter and start again in the spring, making it be an almost constant battle. Change it in the spring and you get a whole year without problems. From there follow the wires back looking for breaks or bare wires or corroded connections. If all that is good, jack up the trailer and hook a battery to the brake wires. You should hear a humming from all the magnets. It's fairly loud and easy to hear. If you don't hear it, the next step is to remove the drums and look inside. If the trailer sits a lot they can get so rusted inside that the magnet can't cut through the rust, if you see that just wire brush it good and try it again. You can have a bad magnet, but that is very rare. Once you can hear the magnets humming try to spin the wheel. It should be locked. If it drags, but don't hold you need to adjust the brakes. Most systems have auto adjusters, but a lot don't work well. They need to be adjusted up til you have just a LITTLE drag, just enough to feel it. No more than that or you'll heat them up.

That should take care of most of the brake problems. If I've missed something feel free to ask, having a lot of experience I could miss something simple just because I take it for granted, but a novice might not know.

Jon, I appreciate all the time you have taken on the subject of trailers, very informative. However I have to disagree with you on the subject of wiring connections. In my opinion, proper soldering of wiring connections with a good heat shrink covering is the only way to do good connections. Just my 2 cents worth, with forty years as a automotive tech.

The wire nut idea is a good one. Since the actual element that holds the wires together is a spring, it will expand and contract with temperature changes and remain tight. There are waterproof wire nuts available for making underground splices, but I"m not sure they are made in the sizes needed for trailer wiring. Might be worth checking at a good electrical supplier. Keep on with the funnies.

You should note that I said that was a good way, except for if you need to do a repair along the road some day. It's my second favorite.

I"ve owned used and bought and sold electric brake equipped trailers for over 45 years and the main problems I"ve encountered EVEN WITH FACTORY NEW TRAILERS are poor grounds and poor (often only crimped) connections. If you do it right the first time then you can expect good service for years. One of the methods (or solder) I use is twisted wire nut splices then sealed with silicone and as far as the main frame ground I often weld a stainless steel bolt to the frame and use stainless steel star bite lock washers to attach a connector and then cover and seal all that with silicone. If you can keep moisture and especially oxygen off surfaces then there"s less chance of OXIDATION/RUST. On some installations I even run a dedicated independent ground wire (i.e. 2 wire system hot and ground).

John T

I am a electrical contractor.......and with my knowledge of electrical systems, and how to wire and put stuff together......trailer wiring is enough to make me loose my religion and become a day long drunk......drives me nuts!

NOTE>>>>>Most said issues come from loaning a trailer to a "friend"......

Sparktrician,

...or loaning to a "relative". The husband of a cousin is a particularly bad choice for loaning-to. LOL.

You need to correct one thing Jon,you don't hook A BATTERY to your brake wires unless you want to rewire the trailer.800-1000A batterys will do wonders on electric trailer brakes.(Lets all the smoke out.)

Well I've been doing it for some 30 years so far with no problems, but if you had a direct short you could melt a wire I suppose. But you should be able to tell that as soon as you hook up. If your worried, a simple 30amp breaker or fuse in the line would protect it.

There are three ways to tell if a brake has been working. The drum is shiny where the shoe contacts,the face of the drum is shiny where the magnet grabs and the whine of the magnet,a low buzzing sound. You can tell if a magnet is bad if it has a burned blue/black discolouration. I gree with everyone who says wiring is 90% of problems and usually it is ground that is 90% of problems. I was keeping a fleet of 21 work trailers on the road and the owner and I decided that buying the entire brake(backing plate,shoes,magnet pre assembled) was cheaper than replacing components,the package is cheaper than individual parts added up and the labour bill simply was dissolved. Four bolts and a two wire splice and your brake was new on that wheel and you can do it in a fraction of the time needed to replace the components on the backing plate,in my opinion it was the best way to go.If I recall the magnets and shoes separately were more than the entire component. I used solder and shrink wrap in some places and wire nuts where I figured I might need to take it apart sometime.The most interesting thing about electric brakes is that you can have them working fine one day and the next day they aren't working! You need to be on them,checking for that buzz,feeling them kick in as you brake etc

DITTO on the replacement method, its sooooooooooo easy to buy and install the entire assembly (4 bolts and 2 wires to connect) then replace individual components and it works better also

John T

One buddy always rigged his trailers for a pintle hitch versus a ball so as to reduce having to loan it out lol

John T

I had surge brakes on my boat trailer for my 26 ft sail boat they never gave any trouble and I never had to work on them. They ready to go even after setting for months or being used in saltwater. One thing I loved was when pulling behind my motor home if I came to a steep down hill the brakes would keep the motor home at a decent speed just because of the wait of the boat and trailer pushing against the motor home. The only thing bad was trying to backup a steep hill darn things. Don't know the differents between stopping and backing up.
Walt

Well you do have a direct short,but a controller or brake battery only puts out 15-20 amps.vs 1000A to the brakes.A breaker will shut the power off leaving nothing.As far as 20yrs.doing it,I and others have more then twice the time and have never found a good-long lasting way to reduce the amps.Open to any ideas you can provide.

"have never found a good-long lasting way to reduce the amps"

I must have missed something... WHY are we trying to "reduce the Amps"???

I built a trailer out of an F250 chassis and put a 6 x 10 wooden box on it. I know I should have brakes on it. I have been trying to figure out the simplest and least expensive way to do it. I welcome suggestions.

Tobe more clear,you have a 12V-15A battery on the breakaway switch.When it is pulled,you have 15A at most power to the brakes,replace that 15A battery with a 800A-1000A battery and something has to give.The switch is first (thankfully)togo usually,so a need to reduce the power input.The batterys are all ready on the trailers,so just trying to not have to have that little junk battery.We have run Elec.brakes since mid-late 1940s,but never used breakaway switches until early 70s and that is when we found this problem out.Any ideas are welcome.

The only way would be hydraulic, I woukd go with electric over hyd. Myself, but surge will work.

In some states surge type brakes aren't legal... or at least the older ones aren't. I understand there are surge brakes now that have a different setup than the older style. But some state laws require the brakes to be operable at all times. Traditional surge brakes don't meet that requirement because there's no braking unless the vehicle is going fast enough and the trailer weighs enough to activate them. And they don't work going backwards at all. Then there's the breakaway system that's required and many older surge systems didn't have. Like I said, some newer systems may have these features, but the old ones didn't. I've been out of the biz for about 5 years now and I'm sure things may have changed.

As far as electrical systems, I've helped a lot of people fix brakes and lighting on the side of the road. Seems like at least 75% of the time, maybe a lot more, it was a bad ground. First thing I check for is good grounding.

(quoted from post at 10:20:24 05/15/14) Tobe more clear,you have a 12V-15A battery on the breakaway switch.When it is pulled,you have 15A at most power to the brakes,replace that 15A battery with a 800A-1000A battery and something has to give.The switch is first (thankfully)togo usually,so a need to reduce the power input.The batterys are all ready on the trailers,so just trying to not have to have that little junk battery.We have run Elec.brakes since mid-late 1940s,but never used breakaway switches until early 70s and that is when we found this problem out.Any ideas are welcome.

Just because a battery says "1000 CCA" does not mean it puts out 1000A.

Think about it. All of your truck's electrical system is connected directly to this 1000 CCA battery with nothing to "reduce the Amps." If the battery pushed 1000 Amps out to the radio, the lights, the engine computer, etc., your truck would be on fire in about 30 seconds!!!

The component draws what it draws, depending on the resistance in the circuit and the voltage applied.

If your brakes draw 1000A, you've got a defective brake with a dead short in it. In other words, no resistance.

(quoted from post at 07:37:09 05/15/14) Well you do have a direct short,but a controller or brake battery only puts out 15-20 amps.vs 1000A to the brakes.A breaker will shut the power off leaving nothing.As far as 20yrs.doing it,I and others have more then twice the time and have never found a good-long lasting way to reduce the amps.Open to any ideas you can provide.

I could be wrong but it has always been my understanding that batteries don't "push" all their available amps, they just store them. Appliances like lights and brakes DRAW the current (amps). Short circuits draw a whole lot until the thinnest point melts. Voltage on the other hand can cause a much bigger current slug to go through the wires until the thinnest part melts. So a battery with ten times the current capacity will cause no problem but one with 25% more voltage could be a big problem.

(quoted from post at 11:04:08 05/15/14) One buddy always rigged his trailers for a pintle hitch versus a ball so as to reduce having to loan it out lol

John T

A pintle and a goose normally eliminates those that need to borrow a trailer. I'm slowly moving all of mine that way.

I have one gooseneck trailer and one bumper pull trailer. I have people ask to borrow the bumper pull all the time. I have the occasional can I borrow your truck and gooseneck question but most know that I do not loan the truck and trailer out as a pair.

I am getting ready to rewire my gooseneck trailer the same as I did my bumper pull. I run the seven wire all the way to the back and everywhere I have to tie in lights, brakes, etc I put a splice bar in a waterproof box with dedicated wires to each component. Makes it easy to isolate problems in a hurry.

(quoted from post at 05:34:12 05/15/14) I am a electrical contractor.......and with my knowledge of electrical systems, and how to wire and put stuff together......[b:6cd5dd6383]trailer wiring is enough to make me loose my religion and become a day long drunk......drives me nuts![/b:6cd5dd6383]

NOTE>>>>>Most said issues come from loaning a trailer to a "friend"......
What he says.
Trailer wiring seems like an after thought, cheap and prone to failing.
What a joke. :roll:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back