trans hard to shift from high to low range

WORNOUT

have a oliver 88 1949. having trouble shifting from high to low range. any ideas, trans full of oil and sounds good.thanks

Do you mean it's having a hard time between shifting between neutrals? I don't consider it a low/high range transmission. This should be your pattern on the 88.

I should clarify, nomenclature and engineering being what it is, I understand the "high" and "low" concepts...

IMG_1849_dsycr7__33752.1579288877.jpg

Last edited:
this is my shift pattern . i ment to say the shift lever does not allow me to shift to the gear shown in lower part of shift patternr. the others are ok.

have a oliver 88 1949. having trouble shifting from high to low range. any ideas, trans full of oil and sounds good.thanks
I have a Super 88 that is the same way. At times it is almost impossible to get if to come out of the high side back to low. I talked to John S. about it one time and he told me that there is something in the shift linkage that wears and hangs up, but I have not torn into mine to see what it is. I only use mine for pulling and it stays in the low side most of the time.

this is my shift pattern . i ment to say the shift lever does not allow me to shift to the gear shown in lower part of shift patternr. the others are ok.

I agree, it could be rust on the balls or a worn poppet block. Here's an old quote from Larry Harsin:

It is the detents in the rails. The ball is wedging in the poppet block. There are 2 ways to fix it. One, get a new poppet block from your AGCO Dealer. The other way is to go in there and take the shift rail out. Then, take a side grinder and relieve the slope where the shift rail pushes the ball up into the poppet block. You don't have to take off very much.

I hope this helps.

I couldn’t shift between the ranges on my 66, I took the springs and detent balls out of the block. Cleaned the rust out and lubed the rails. That made it shift easier.

The problem is in the center shift rail. The detent ball pocket has worn. You may need to replace the worn ball and pocket with a larger ball and replace find a used one out o scrap tractor

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back