Trans. Pilot Bolt and Lock Washer on H ?

Noise in front of my 42 H Transmission, Took Coupling apart and front bearing retainer off and main drive gear and shaft came out front, and Pilot Bearing bolt and Lock Washer was loose in end of shaft, I mean not even screwed into threads. they are both chewed up some. Also Small gear on main shaft is bad and inside teeth on 4th & 5th gear is bad. Getting ready to pull top off Trans. My question is what does a new or good used bolt and lock washer look like for this? Can someone send a picture of these.
I can get the gears on this web site I think, but don't see the bolt or lock washer. Maybe some one knows a source for the bolt and lock washer also. Thanks for any help you can give. Gene

I think I have a good bolt and washer. I just re-did two transmissions recently. They are a fine thread bolt and heavy concave washer. The pic isn't the best and is before the seals were done. You can see the bolt inside the coupler.. I'll see if I can get a good pic tomorrow if someone else doesn't have one.
cvphoto84730.jpg

1/2 20 threads per inch 1 long.
Heavy washer large enough in diameter to not go thru the joint. Its purpose is to keep the shaft pulled forward.

mvphoto73438.jpg

You can barely see the heavy flat washer in the pic. Theres a blob of grease at the edge of it. I also used a lock washer. [/img:af02193309]

I don't have an H apart like that but have had M's apart. On an M it uses an internal star lock washer and the bolt has a thin head. I believe you could take a grade 5 bolt and face it off in a lathe until it was short enough. Use play-doh or similar to verify internal clearance during mock-up assembly. Not much pressure on it; just keeps the bearing from moving around. Some blue locktite for piece-of-mind.

The washer number shown for the Super H is 63833D, the number for the regular H is 15042D but I cant get that to show up anywhere. I am not going to try a link for this due to direct competition. But if you go to Bates and enter the Super H number one shows up. I suppose maybe the Super H was a little bigger diameter so you could make it fit by some grinding. Maybe someone else knows the exact difference. Ill attach the avspare parts diagram where I got the numbers.
H trans diagram

Somehow someone misunderstood my post, It is the bolt and internal tooth lock washer that holds the pilot bearing in the transmission to the front end of the main shaft after removing the short main drive gear shaft. My bolt and lock washer has been rolling around inside there and are all chewed up. I want to know what Original looked like or can I use a standard cap screw head grade 5 bolt and internal lock washer?
Pilot bearing looks good but does not fit flush on end of shaft? Could previous owner used wrong pilot bearing? too wide? Thanks for any info you can give. Gene

Looking at the diagram I posted the locking washer is No. 69.. 58862D. Same thing if you put that in Bates search it will show you what it looks like, but they do not show one available. 67052D ..No 70..is the bearing retaining bolt. I cant get it to show up anywhere to find the specs on it. I dont know where you are at, you may need to search out a tractor salvage yard to find one.

Unless you have a early H the washer looks like picture. 1/2 inch bolts of different lengths were used in some main shafts. Take a piece of all thread or a bolt with long threads to see how far it goes in before binding to give a indication of bolt to use. 3/4 wrench size on head with head about 1/4 inch tall. Have used grade 8 with head ground thinner. Washer is special, do a search for 58862D. Also used in some M, w-6 ETC.
mvphoto73542.jpg

mvphoto73543.jpg

mvphoto73544.jpg

Pay no mind to picture I mistakenly inserted.

Thank you D Slater, that is what I wanting, I checked and it has 1 inch and 1/4 threads in shaft, someone
had used a 1/2 Bolt that was 1/2 Long, I have had this tractor since 2010 and Trans. has always been
very noisey. I can make bolt to fit. Also why is the pilot not flush with the shaft end? I assume this why
the washer is concave. Thanks to everyone for your help on this. Also the H is a 1942. Gene Norman

Inner race of bearing is normal for being past end of shaft. Also should add when using a regular bolt, on the bottom edge of head the 6 points are rounded very slightly to fit washer. Another think to check is the input shaft front bearing. Bad bearing or a broken retaining ring can let the shaft shift back toward pilot bearing. Loose front yoke can also let it move some.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back