Transmission oil seal

Hi Y'all,
Came over from the Ferguson board (1950 TO20 and 1952 TO30).Just acquired my uncle's 52 8N and am going through it, trying to fix what's broken, repair what I can and stop as many leaks as I can. First thank you for all of the information that I have gotten from y'all from archives. I am at the point of replacing the clutch, and my brother and I split it yesterday (thanks for all of the good info to do that). I understand that now would be a good time to replace the transmission oil seal. I have ordered my shop manual but do not have it yet so if you could give me a few steps to accomplish that. Do I need to remove the forks? and if I remove the 4 bolts to the case what do I expect to see. Any tips would be appreciated . I have read that I should do this but am coming up short on exactly how. Thanks in advance.

Here is a video series I did on a 2N Ford. Skip to the 19:41 minute mark to go there directly. Its basically the same thing as the 8N. Video shows you how to take it a part anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzfb21HtkT8

Outstanding! I had just finished watching part 2 of this video series. Just to verify that removing the housing for the input shaft with the input shaft still in the tractor will not affect anything inside the transmission (bearing etc) and it is then just a matter of remove and replace for the oil seal. Thank you, great presentation on the video also.

Carolina boy,You can also remove the transmission input shaft and use it to line up your new clutch plate before tighting up the pressure plate.

I have ordered a clutch alignment tool with the new clutch. Is it possible to remove the housing without first removing the input shaft? I'm sure to the learned
that these questions are enough to make you roll your eyes but I'm trying to remove as least amount of things in order to get the job done. I'm sure the one who
put these things in there are more experienced than the one who is taking it out. 8n newbie

(quoted from post at 18:49:53 01/19/21) I have ordered a clutch alignment tool with the new clutch. Is it possible to remove the housing without first removing the input shaft? I'm sure to the learned
that these questions are enough to make you roll your eyes but I'm trying to remove as least amount of things in order to get the job done. I'm sure the one who
put these things in there are more experienced than the one who is taking it out. 8n newbie
No, it comes off as a unit. Then you remove the shaft to replace the seal. Easy job.

With that name, I assume you are in one of the Carolinas.
Been in the better corner of SC all my life.
Whereabouts are you?
Richard in NW SC

NE NC. I was born and raised here about 20 miles south of the VA line. Daddy farmed here after coming home from the war and I inherited his 1950 Ferguson TO20 when he passed . The tractor was more worn out than anything but I restored it back to better than showroom condition. Retired to the homeplace and enjoy tinkering on the tractors TO20, TO30, 8N, and a Kubota M7060. I ate enough dirt with the open tractors that my wife said I could get something with a cab when I retired. AC, heat, nice radio. Nice to meet another Confederate. Best to y'all. Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back