treating tractor belt pulleys

mike,ky

New User
I have just got a belt pulley for a massey harris super twin power 101. The man I got it from said to treat it with raw lenseed oil. So I bought a gallon and on the back it says that it is for dring wood, so i figured that if it drys out wood I did not want to put it on a paper pulley. Cause it being almost 70 years old the paper does not need to dry any more. So my question is what is a good way to rehydrate the paper in the pulley so that it does not get any dryer and more brittle than it already is. A lot of you said to seal them with shlack- a clear coat. Now the face of the pulley is in good shape, it is the inside that is in rough shape and starting to show cracks, that is why I want to treat it first.
 
Yes, I have used shellac on several. It seems to firm them up if they are a little pithy. No, I don't think you want linseed. It is a vegetable oil and will attract mildew.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top