Dean

Getting ready to start working on the weeds in my lawn, which is mostly perennial rye.

The lawn has lots of dandelions, Plantains, chickweed, etc., all of which are easily controlled by 2-4-D, but it also has creeping Charlie (ground ivy), which is much more difficult.

I experimented last fall with Spectracide Weed Stop plus crabgrass killer and a hand sprayer. It was effective on just about everything, including nut sedge, but did little or nothing to the creeping Charlie even though it is on the label of controlled weeds. I applied it multiple times but did not use surfactant.

I recently bought a 55 gallon, three point mounted, 12' boom sprayer for use with a CUT, and plan to spray the entire lawn soon.

Today, I bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug of Trimec (lawn weed killer) and a gallon of surfactant. Creeping Charlie is also on the Trimec label of weeds controlled but I have my doubts.

Anyone have experience with Trimec on creeping Charlie?

Dean

We use a half oz. of tordon rtu along with a couple of oz's of 2,4-d per gallon of spray. Soak the heck out of them with a 2 gallon sprayer. Works some in the spring, better in the fall after the first hard freeze.

Would you like to try some Zoysia grass. I have a lot of my lawn in the stuff and it looks beautiful. It eventually chokes out everything and makes a dense thick carpet. First thing in the spring some nut grass and a couple of other weeds come up. Just get down on my knees and in About 20 minutes I have all of that early stuff pulled out. Then the Zoysia grass kicks into high gear. You get a sheet of it and cut it into little squares that you plug it into your lawn. In a couple of years the whole area is Zoysia. I can send you a big chunk of it or just go on line and order it. Perfect time of year to do it. Get the great big order cause they send you a plugging tool and extra sod. Worth it. A lot of golf courses are using it for heavy traffic areas. Several lawns around me are zoysia. Only thing is it browns in the winter but mine is already full blown green as of mid april. Give it a thought. Also, you don't need to mow it that much cause it stays very low to the ground. I mow it maybe once a month. Gets about 4 or 5 inches tall Max.
cvphoto22638.jpg

Even worse is that bind weed stuff. Looks like pretty violet color morning glory till it takes over your entire garden overnight! Pull the damn stuff out. Hurry! Goes from first picture to second in a couple of weeks..
cvphoto22639.gif

cvphoto22640.jpg

Fortunately, I don't have that, Jeffcat, at least not yet.

But I do have perennial milkweeds spreading in my little hay field.

The hay field is on the agenda this fall after the hay has been removed, and the milkweeds are even tougher than the Creeping Charlie.

One thing at a time.

Dean

The Spectracide Weed Stop has 2-4-D salt, Dicamba and some other stuff in it but it was ineffective on Creeping Charley.

Not much Dicamba. Maybe not enough?

Dean

Find Triclopyr. It knocks the hard broadleaves out and won't hurt the grass (will take out creeping Charlie, ground ivy, etc. and those hard ones that 2-4-D has a hard time with). I send three guys out to fert and spray lawns about every day and that's what we use.

(quoted from post at 10:10:34 05/10/19) Fortunately, I don't have that, Jeffcat, at least not yet.

But I do have perennial milkweeds spreading in my little hay field.

The hay field is on the agenda this fall after the hay has been removed, and the milkweeds are even tougher than the Creeping Charlie.

One thing at a time.

Dean

Dean, I eradicated milkweed from 4-5 of my fields by just individually spraying with Roundup. You obviously have to catch it before it gets too well established but it is time EXTREMELY well spent

Dean, Trimec should do a good job. Some of the things suggested in this string are illegal and may not be effective. Read and follow label directions. Your county agent and agricultural university are good resources. I have 35 years in the lawn care business.

Thanks, OG.

That's what my local Purdue U Extension agent recommended for the milkweeds in my hayfield.

I have been planning to investigate this for hay field but was hoping to find something less expensive for the ground ivy in my lawn.

I guess I'll try the Trimec in the lawn first. Cant work on the hay field until the hay has been harvested anyway.

Dean

Thanks, SC.

I've played around with several herbicides on the milkweeds and even resorted to pulling some up but I allowed the perennial ones to become too well established before I knew that they were perennial, hard to kill and rizomed.

May now have to pay the piper.

Dean

Thanks, BTM.

I'm going to try the Trimec in the lawn. I'll try it early and again in the fall if necessary.

If it doesn't work, I'll try something else (more expensive) next year.

Dean

No, not at that rate. Straight out of the bottle pouring on a stump it will kill the grass wherever it runs off. If that rate isn't working double both the tordon and the 2,4-d, still won't kill the grass. Just a little more expensive. Might have to go the heavier rate in the spring. We use the mix on Canadian thistles both now and in the fall really holds them down too.

I tried Trimec for two years. It worked great; The creeping charlie spread much faster with the Trimec, LOL. This year I am going with a product that is a blend Of 2-4D and Dicamba. I will go on the strong side and spray frequently. I picked a new larger sprayer up yesterday so that I can hit all of the affected areas with one tank full.

Zoysia, Just for the ell of it I put a 2" plug in the field behind the shop last year it has grown to be almost a foot square... I have some in the front yard and yes you are right it defeats other grass/weeds...

I have used Trimec & had great luck. BUT it works best if you hit it as per the directions in the fall after the first freeze. I have killed some nasty patches doing it this way.

I have more than enough for my lawn so will try it now and most likely another time or two times this fall.

Dean

(quoted from post at 21:57:01 05/10/19) That?s kinda what morning glory does here

I had morning glory in a field when I took it over. It would wrap up around my tedder. I got rid of it in one season by liming, fertilizing, and I think spot spraying IIRC.

I had a little patch climbing a fence and whacked it with 2-4 D Amine. Same with Poison Ivy which will get out of control along fence lines and trees if you let it as will Morning Glory. I think Texas bans the sale of the seeds as it can be a serious pest as you have shown.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back