Trucking tires

I’ve bought 4 used 15.5-38 tires on rims and now I have to get them home
Will it be possible to fit them in a 6.5’ pickup bed? Or do I need to get a trailer?
It’s gonna be a 1500 mile round trip and would much prefer to take just the pickup.

Will it be possible to fit them in a 6.5’ pickup bed? Or do I need to get a trailer?
It’s gonna be a 1500 mile round trip and would much prefer to take just the pickup.
They are going to be about 62" - 64" in diameter. I would say you need a trailer or a flatbed truck.

Rent a UHual trailer when you get there

With centers and fluid inside?

Might depend on your propensity to haul stuff in the bed that might scratch, rub raw, scuff the inside.

Tires standing up two in front two behind?
'All four standing up cross wise side by side?
Laying down in the bed, resting on the top of the bed sides?
etc.

If a longer bed is needed to haul them, I would build a bed extension out of 2x4's.

1st one inside wheel well, next the same or sitting on top of wheel well, tire sticking out the right side. 2 more on top. Other wise 5-6' 2"x4"s, 3 across bed rails and 2 to tie together lengthwise. If wheels or centers and/or ballast, better have a trailer....James

I stacked a few pallets in the bed to haul a couple tires without scratching up and bending the top of the box . I only had haul them a 50-80 mile haul. Worked well for 2 4 would be double the height and would need 4 straps for holding best. Otherwise talk to some of these truckload or LTL carriers about picking them up on the way by for you. Would save some distance ,might even be cheaper in the end.

you would be ok with 2 tires in your pickup, as thats how i hauled 2 home. 4 tires is too much . meaning too much bulk.

It could be done. I'm not sure you could stack them flat. My truck measures barely 62" between the bed rails and online shows new BKT tires at 62.4" in diameter. If the tires are worn they might just squeeze between the bed rails without putting much stress on the bed. I'd bring a few pallets to stack in the bottom so the first tire sits flat above the wheel wells, then stack them flat 4 high. Lots of straps. Hit the road.

If you can't stack them flat, then load them in on edge. First tire crossways in the front of the bed. Three tires side-by-side between the wheel wells. Lots of straps. Hit the road.

Or like DoubleO7 said above... All four crossways in the front of the bed. Strap 'em together with four straps. Strap 'em down with four more. Hit the road.

We're hauling tires and rims here, right? They're not made of concrete. I can't imagine they'd be loaded, as in fluid filled.

Good lord I had "frame rails" on the brain for some reason. I imagine everyone thought I was spouting nonsense...

Last edited:
It could be done. I'm not sure you could stack them flat. My truck measures barely 62" between the bed rails and online shows new BKT tires at 62.4" in diameter. If the tires are worn they might just squeeze between the bed rails without putting much stress on the bed. I'd bring a few pallets to stack in the bottom so the first tire sits flat above the wheel wells, then stack them flat 4 high. Lots of straps. Hit the road.

If you can't stack them flat, then load them in on edge. First tire crossways in the front of the bed. Three tires side-by-side between the wheel wells. Lots of straps. Hit the road.

Or like DoubleO7 said above... All four crossways in the front of the bed. Strap 'em together with four straps. Strap 'em down with four more. Hit the road.

We're hauling tires and rims here, right? They're not made of concrete. I can't imagine they'd be loaded, as in fluid filled.

Good lord I had "frame rails" on the brain for some reason. I imagine everyone thought I was spouting nonsense...
I was all set to rent a trailer as suggested above but now got me thinking.
That just might work!
They’re mounted on 9 bolt rims and centers
But still should

15.5-38's with rims and hubs in the tires will not work wel on a regular pickup box if you care about the sides and top edge of the box. And once bent on these cheap aluminum beds they will not straighten out well afterwards. Rent the trailer for the 40 bucks and be happy after.

15.5-38's with rims and hubs in the tires will not work wel on a regular pickup box if you care about the sides and top edge of the box. And once bent on these cheap aluminum beds they will not straighten out well afterwards. Rent the trailer for the 40 bucks and be happy after.
Trailer rental is $140, not $40.

$140 buys enough extra gas to tow your own trailer both ways.

Also I don't see where the type of pickup was mentioned. Could be an old 3/4 ton that's seen a few things for all we know, but everyone's worried about "aluminum" and being too heavy...

Last edited:
Strapping a five foot high stack of tractor tires down securely over the top of the wheel wells of a pickup could be difficult. Figure the tires and rims weight 250 to 300 pounds each, restacking those along the side of the road could be a challenge. I would consider hauling them in the pickup for a short trip, or maybe take two trips for under 50 miles. For hauling them 750 miles one way, I would definitely rent a trailer with brakes and secure them well, maybe in two stacks of two. A lot of unexpected things can happen over 750 miles of road.

U Haul trailer rental for me one way was quoted at $140 vs. less than $20 per day. So 2 day rental was $40 vs. $140. Your mileage may vary. But for that difference I can pull a trailer both directions.
Agree that 2 way trailer rentals with UHaul are the way to go. Others here might better understand how UHaul works, but it seems they are OK priced on one way truck rentals (and they must expect that everything gets mixed around as needed naturally), but with trailer rentals the local lots seem very protective of their trailers (and they want them back).

Agree that 2 way trailer rentals with UHaul are the way to go. Others here might better understand how UHaul works, but it seems they are OK priced on one way truck rentals (and they must expect that everything gets mixed around as needed naturally), but with trailer rentals the local lots seem very protective of their trailers (and they want them back).
The 1 way rates can vary widely depending on where the final destination is. If that market area is flooded with similar equipment they don't really want more units left there and charge higher rates accordingly. They then have to disperse these excess units to where they are needed, on their dime. AFAIK.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back