Trucks as help on the farm, GM truck info I've learned here

OliverGuy

Buddy asked me some questions about GM trucks and got me thinking of what I've learned from being around all these at work and on the farm for so long. We've beat on them hard every day and I think I can come up with my weak and strong points. You have any to add or on other brands? I think it's interesting how I can have an issue and yep, it'll probably happen on the others around that year. Here we go: 1. Dealership said there was no way the IFS starting in '88 would withstand a snowplow for long and I definitely shouldn't crank the torsion bars. Fact: I've cranked every new and used one me or Dad ever bought to handle a plow, even Blizzards and wideouts. Never broke a torsion bar on 30 trucks. 2. Every gas engine here gets just about the same mileage pulling a trailer generally speaking, 350 vortec, 454 vortec, 6.0L or 8.1L. I check mileage on them all. I'm not sure I want to share what it is, but it's not good! We don't run many miles, never thought a diesel would pay. 3. Favorite gasser? 8.1L hands down. I had my doubts with the 6.0L but I rarely have any problems 4. Best luck with a truck? S-10's for my managers. I have two with over 230k and never touched the internals of the engine, trans or rearend. I found one recently from TN with 25k miles that cost me alot. But yeah sure I can handle buying something that I have had past history on not having problems with for 200k miles! 5. GM trucks have intake problems and break the exhaust manifold bolts on 6.0L. I've just learned to deal with it. For how hard we plow and pull trailers with them, I can't complain. 3 of them just passed 20 years of plowing and working. No rust ever on the beds, hoods or front fenders! Just cab corners, rockers and door bottoms replaced once. During the season they get washed every other week, washed after snows and stored inside every night. Helps a lot, but our frames are RUSTY and it's definitely hard on brake lines and such. Well let me have it if you think I'm full of it!

All the specific rust out spots you mention are a plague to GM trucks, all mine had them. The major corrosion issue that gets under my skin is the brake and gas lines, rather weld in cab corners than deal with rusty lines. I have only ever owned GMC and they all served me well.

Oliverguy, I have owned 5 ford pickups in my lifetime, I now own GM. I think you are on the right track. I don't mind rust. As long as the truck starts and runs it stays. Pals started pushing snow in the 80's with fords. Had nothing but tranny problems, now use Chevy and Dodge with far less problems. I now own 2 gm pickups, 1 has 255000 miles on it, other has 180000 on it with snow plow. When the 1 with 255000 miles on it turns over 300000 miles I will give it to 1 of the boys to run out. I now work at a used car lot. We get in a decent Chevy truck and it will sell in a couple of days. All fords go to a car auction unless they are totally exceptional. Even being exceptional they may and usually do sit on the lot for weeks. My boss used to sell more used Dodge pickups than any other used car dealer in the state. We started seeing tranny problems with them about 10 years ago. As a result he sorta backed off selling them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back