Trying to determine the value of an Old Ford D 50 12K with backhoe and loader

I have an old (1973) tractor with a backhoe (not a PTO but a 3-point setup, really more of a permanent thing) and a loader bucket. 3-cylinder diesel, 55 hp I think. It runs well and has been cared for, but it's old and well-used. I have 12-inch and 24-inch buckets for the backhoe. I've owned it for 20 years and it's not been run that hard during that time, it's been a home-owner convenience machine (but it did dig a small pool once, and a foundation for our house. It'll need a hose replaced every once in a while, which isn't all that easy, but it's doable as long as you have some time to spare. It is not pretty. I think it was originally blue, got painted orange, and then yellow. All three colors can be found if you look. We call it "the lobster". I recently put $700 into it for a couple of hoses and a battery. I think the underlying value is about $2000, but I'd like to get the $700 back as well. Is that unreasonable? I've included one picture of me digging the pool, but I can take more and add if it helps, it just might take a day or so...

Attachments

• lobster digging pool.jpeg
    lobster digging pool.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 95
I have an old (1973) tractor with a backhoe (not a PTO but a 3-point setup, really more of a permanent thing) and a loader bucket. 3-cylinder diesel, 55 hp I think. It runs well and has been cared for, but it's old and well-used. I have 12-inch and 24-inch buckets for the backhoe. I've owned it for 20 years and it's not been run that hard during that time, it's been a home-owner convenience machine (but it did dig a small pool once, and a foundation for our house. It'll need a hose replaced every once in a while, which isn't all that easy, but it's doable as long as you have some time to spare. It is not pretty. I think it was originally blue, got painted orange, and then yellow. All three colors can be found if you look. We call it "the lobster". I recently put $700 into it for a couple of hoses and a battery. I think the underlying value is about $2000, but I'd like to get the $700 back as well. Is that unreasonable? I've included one picture of me digging the pool, but I can take more and add if it helps, it just might take a day or so...
If the engine runs with little or no blue/grey smoke, and starts well, I think you are on target with 2700. Jim

People around here are not to much into "firm" when it comes to pricing something. Offer it up for $3000 and let them faggle you down to $2700. You will still get what you wanted for it and if they pull out $3000 and say "I'll take". Well you get a decent little bonus.

$2500 - $2700 seems a fair price.

I agree with what mule says. Hardly anybody will walk up with your asking price in hand so beat them to the pass and post it for a few hundred over your ideal price and let them work that bluff off the top. They feel like they got a deal and you get what you want.
Nate

Thanks. I think $2700 is a fair price, and this evening I got a call from someone offering to pay exactly that. So I suppose that defines "market value".- I'm trying to assure myself that this fellow (a bit of a friend) is getting a fair deal and that I'm not overcharging or severely undercharging him. I suppose if we are both happy that is all that matters. I failed to mention in the original post that this is a Ford D 50 12 K model tractor If that impacts anyone's opinion of its value. On top of paying me my asking price, he's willing to let me do a couple of quick little jobs here at the house before he comes and gets it. That's pretty nice.

Thanks. I think $2700 is a fair price, and this evening I got a call from someone offering to pay exactly that. So I suppose that defines "market value".- I'm trying to assure myself that this fellow (a bit of a friend) is getting a fair deal and that I'm not overcharging or severely undercharging him. I suppose if we are both happy that is all that matters. I failed to mention in the original post that this is a Ford D 50 12 K model tractor If that impacts anyone's opinion of its value. On top of paying me my asking price, he's willing to let me do a couple of quick little jobs here at the house before he comes and gets it. That's pretty nice.
Sounds like a good deal to me

I'd like to find one for close to that price that is not worn out so bad it takes more than that to get it to work. Any thing that runs goes for more than that . Decent is in the 6-10,000 range here. though that may be changing. I see a couple auction sales lately that tillage and planting equipment is going pretty cheap by the prices I saw last night. 3 30 ft plus wide folding packers sold for 1700,3100,3500 each one and biggest was 34 ft. Deere front fold 515 drill 10 inch spacing for beans sold for 2800 last bid. This is in central MI.

I wouldn't sell it or give it away for a few bucks. You never know when you will need a loader or backhoe.

Your D5012K model code is for a 4500 industrial
The code breaks down as
D50 = 4500 industrial
1 = diesel engine
2 = 540 transmission pto
K = 6x4 manual reversing transmission

I’m thinking the backhoe was added as most models that came with backhoes did not have pto’s but they could be ordered either way
If it is a 73 model yellow would have been the original color but a number of city or government ordered models were painted orange
Models built prior to 71 had blue chassis with yellow sheet metal, loader and backhoe

The production date and serial number are located in the same area as the model code
Post those numbers and some can tell you when it was built

This is my December 68 model
IMG_0273.jpeg

Your D5012K model code is for a 4500 industrial
The code breaks down as
D50 = 4500 industrial
1 = diesel engine
2 = 540 transmission pto
K = 6x4 manual reversing transmission

I’m thinking the backhoe was added as most models that came with backhoes did not have pto’s but they could be ordered either way
If it is a 73 model yellow would have been the original color but a number of city or government ordered models were painted orange
Models built prior to 71 had blue chassis with yellow sheet metal, loader and backhoe

The production date and serial number are located in the same area as the model code
Post those numbers and some can tell you when it was built

This is my December 68 model
View attachment 63305
This looks a lot like my tractor, with the obvious differences being the bucket and the backhoe. I'll take a picture of the backhoe unit today (I think it also has a model and serial number plate). It's in the barn, awaiting the installation of a new battery and getting an oil change, so I hope I can get good pictures... Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get the production date and serial info off that plate, but it's not in great shape (the plate that is).

This looks a lot like my tractor, with the obvious differences being the bucket and the backhoe. I'll take a picture of the backhoe unit today (I think it also has a model and serial number plate). It's in the barn, awaiting the installation of a new battery and getting an oil change, so I hope I can get good pictures... Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get the production date and serial info off that plate, but it's not in great shape (the plate that is).
Pallet forks and aftermarket 3pt attachments don't change the model number of the tractor, even on Fords (that's a joke for people in the know), so it's a pretty safe bet you've got a 4500 Industrial.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back