Trying to identify lathe

gareth

Member
I picked up this lathe I don?t see a badge on it. Pretty well everything came with it except for the tool rest, any ideas what it might be?
cvphoto42769.jpg
 
If it a Shepard lathe company the bolts are odd balls not common thread. All I can find about the company it went out of business in the 1920s. It looks just like mine. The only other one I seen was I'm the Smithsonian with the Wright brothers.
 
Sounds like it might be hard to find parts for if so, I haven?t been able to identify it from any pictures yet. Apparently it may have came from New York. I?ll have to get a better look at it to see if the bolts are odd
 
Did it come with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. I don't see either. If it did not come with a chuck,
ya might have trouble finding one for it.
 
Looks similar to a Niles. That looks like a small version of a 18" that I have. I found a Niles catalog online from 1903 that had the exact machine that I have. Niles-Bement-Pond owned and sold Pratt & Whitney lathes. Not sure how the product lines were differentiated.

Here's a link.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433087539619&view=1up&seq=96


Look on page 95 or so of the digital document (page 89 of the original) and they have one quite similar; the way the apron is squared off and the way the headstock is put together.
 
I had a 1925 year model Southbend that looked alot like that. Does the big gear on the head shaft have a button/bolt to lock it in to use the back gear?

If it is an old SB, look at the end of the bed ways away from the head. If I remember correctly, the serial number was right below the top of the flat part of the way.

Things like a bare, threaded faceplate, to mount a chuck on, should be available from WT Tool, Travers Tool, or somewhere like that.
 
A google images search shows too new of model lathes. I would say a Pratt and Whitney would be proudly marked in the casting right up front. If it was a Pratt and Whitney which it is not. Also early P&W had reverse cross feed screws { you had to get a piece of acme thread rod from MSC and reverse the action. You can hardly work with a reverse cross feed.
 
Try posting this question on the Home Shop Machinist forum or the "antique" section on Practical Machinist forum.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions I still haven?t identified it but i?ll Have to look at it better and get some more pictures when I get a chance
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top