Type A transmission fluid for power steering?

Caryc

Going to check my power steering fluid reservoir. Since all the trouble I had with it and switching over the whole thing to brand new mechanics, I don't even remember what fluid I put in it after re-doing the whole thing to modern parts.

The book says to use type "A" auto trans fluid. I found some bottles of Proline automatic transmission fluid in my shed. It says for use in Dexron-III and Mercon brands.

Is this a type "A" fluid? Do they still sell type "A" fluid? This is for my MF202 but I knew I would get more answers here.

Of course I do have an 8N so I'm no stranger here?

(quoted from post at 15:16:27 12/05/20)The book says to use type "A" auto trans fluid. I found some bottles of Proline automatic transmission fluid in my shed. It says for use in Dexron-III and Mercon brands.

Is this a type "A" fluid? Do they still sell type "A" fluid? This is for my MF202 but I knew I would get more answers here.

My memory said yes, but I searched around a bit for confirmation. There's an article on wikipedia that gives the history of Dexron ATF. It says that Dexron-III is compatible all the way back to Type A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

(quoted from post at 16:16:27 12/05/20) Going to check my power steering fluid reservoir. Since all the trouble I had with it and switching over the whole thing to brand new mechanics, I don't even remember what fluid I put in it after re-doing the whole thing to modern parts.

The book says to use type "A" auto trans fluid. I found some bottles of Proline automatic transmission fluid in my shed. It says for use in Dexron-III and Mercon brands.

Of course I do have an 8N so I'm no stranger here?

It is not the same but in a power steering system it will work just fine.

Any fluid is better than Type A for you application... I use Ford 134D hydraulic fluid in all PS even cars... It has resolved some issues with PS even OEM recommended fluid...

Type A is an aggressive fluid it has its place but not in a PS system...

I have used the 134 hydro fluid in my 2000 for about 25 years now with no problem. It makes
using one fluid all around much more easy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back