Unknown screw found near hydraulic strainer on MF 383

R3pairman

New User
Hello! I didn t know where else to go for expertise on this. No known issues with operability or indications of trouble, but I found this thing right against the bottom of the strainer while I was servicing it.

mvphoto112550.jpg

https://parts.agcocorp.com/us/en/Fasteners-%26-Hardware/Hardware/Hexagonal-Bolts/SCREW-SPECIAL/p/3771408M1

Any number of forks and selectors it could have rattled out of.
cvphoto168939.jpg

So what do you think? Do I need to pull the gearshift cover?

If tractor shifts OK, I'd guess it's an extra screw that was dropped inside. ANY missing fork screw would cause shifting trouble as the forks fit loosely on the rails.
Check the rear trans planetary fork first as it's just above the pump area.

It definitely has been shifting great and I had no reason to suspect anything. Am I risking anything by letting it ride?

Nope! Nothing. Strainer was clean and the only other debris was a bit of pasty sediment in the bottom of the strainer cover. I forgot to mention this tractor is very low hour for its age (< 700 hrs).

I can't tell from the picture, but does it look like it was EVER installed and tightened down? I would think you could identify some scratches somewhere confirming that. Also, if it actually is a missing part, I would think by now you would have noticed a problem with the fork or shift gate it came from. If you shift through all the gears, one at a time, and they all "feel" right, operate right, with no missing, slipping out of, or "extra" gears when traveling both up hill and down hill, then why worry about it? If it was a problem you would have found a symptom long before finding the part,

The shifter rails in the Landini Masseys have roll pins fitted to them, so I doubt it will have come from there.
It looks similar to a 393361X1 screw. This screw locks the clutch release bearing carriers to their respective cross shafts.
See if I can attach a pic of the part......

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back