UPDATE: Broken Starter Post

Salmoneye

Well-known Member
Short recap:

Last week, I went to change a solenoid on my 1947 8N, and the upright threaded post on the starter twisted off...

Decided to remove starter also...Searched net for 6-volt starter...Found brand new India Made starter w/bendix for $92 delivered from DB Electric in TN...Ordered Monday, delivered UPS ground today in VT...

Reading all the horror stories about R&R of starter, I thought for sure I was in for a heck of a 'wiggle' and 'hold your tongue just right' time of it, but could not have been more pleased when it slid together easier than the original came out...

I had cleaned all connections (is it "Bright, tight and shiny", Dell?), and was astounded when I heard the first two revolutions...This is faster than I have ever heard my 8N spin...It's even faster than when I had clean connections and a new battery in the past...

Thanks for the info last week...
 
now take that broken starter and fix it for a spare.

if there is some stud left use a repair stud.. or you will be soldering one in.

that and new brushes and bushings and dress the commie and you should be good to go

soundguy
 
SE.......thanks for follow-up. Gitt'chur old starter motor fixxed and E-bay it and you'll be ahead of the game. Yep, "clean, brite'n'tite" is the 6-volt mantra ........Dell
 
I'd fix the original starter or get'er fixed, and keep it for a spare. I have used the new starters you spoke of from the same vendor, and have had a 50% failure rate within 1 year. Now I don't blame the vendor as they were very willing to make it right by replacing them, but as it was on a customer's tractor, I got stuck for the labor and the repacking and getting the old one to the UPS store.

On the "made in other lands" starters, I have found problems with one of the mounting bolts being a bit too long and it jams against the backside of the flywheel, so check for that right away. The other usual problem was the spacing between the long mounting bolts being just a little wrong for the hole spacing in the bell housing. I have been frustrated every time I use one of the almost right new ones (maybe installed 6? of them). If the bushing plate (aluminum cast) on the drive end of the original starter has not been broken, then I find a rebuilt original will outlast the import which has no repair parts available.

Paul in MN
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top