Update on Gleaner K Problem

nh8260

So i've ruled out a spark issue with my K, i put new plugs in and have good spark on all 6 plugs. I am getting gas in the carb, the bowl is about half full and with the line off and the engine turning over i have a good stream pumping out. The zenith carb has been taken apart twice, blowed out, and a kit put in it but the only way it will start is by starting fluid, a couple seconds of running and she dies. I have no clue on what to do now, i removed the carb filter and cleaned the discs good and that made no difference. This thing ran great 2 months ago and now that corn is ready it does this!! I can't win!!

how about the points ,rotor, condenser and dist cap been changed. haved had many problems with plugged fuel lines at the fittings in the tank would blow that out good

Points are good, rotor, condenser and dist. cap have been changed. I'm getting good fire since i changed that stuff. I blew out the line going to the carb, the line out of the tank was ok, gas poured out of it. The float level looked ok, I'm a much better diesel mechanic than gas so i'm kinda lost on what to do. I'm sure there is something in the carb that is causing this but so far i've not found anything.

I will have to check on that, where is the needle at on that carb? I've not messed with the needles lately, just want to be sure i'm moving the right one.

I know this is a long shot, but have you checked the ignition switch? I had to put a new one on my K2. I let off the starter on mine when I was trying to start it back in July and it started while it was still rolling. It had spark until I turned it to the start position, then it didn't

Hook a jumper wire from the battery to the coil before you spend money on a switch. That's what I did to get mine going.

I adjusted the needle but still no go, i'm wondering about the actuator cause if i move the throttle shaft no gas sprays out, if anyone on here has a good carb for sale i would be interested, be nice to have a spare for times like this!!

does that carb have a drain on the bottom of it? if so crank it over some and then pull that plug out and see if gas runs out, the needle might be stuck and not letting any gas in the carb

The pump is on the engine, pump is working fine. I disconnected the line and turned the engine over and it is shooting gas out the line several feet and the bowl has gas in it as well

I am coming i to this discussion kind of late so by now you probably have it running. I would suggest choking the living daylights out of it while cranking. Then climb back up to the engine if you are alone to see if gas is dripping out of the carb or if the exhaust smells like gas. If gas is dripping from the carb you know gas is getting through the jet and presumably to the engine. Did you take off the distributor cap and flick the points open with a screwdriver with the key on? The coil wire should make a heck of a long snapping spark when you do this.

Oh yes, are you sure the choke is closing fully?About 30 years ago I about pulled my hair out trying to start a gas combine when the choke was not closing absolutely shut. There are some things we do not forget.

I started my K2 yesterday morning for the first time since late July or early August. I had to have the wife get in and turn the key
while I sprayed ether in to it until it was finally running on gas on its own. I don't know why that thing starts so darned hard after
it sits. No reason for a 250 Chevy to start that hard, but it does.

here is one more thing that can cause a big problem. Check your governor spring to make sure its open and not closed

I would try some new gas in there. Any gas I've been buying seems like it loses its octane very rapidly and doesn't even have enough octane to fire under pressure. Found that out with snowmobiles that I store all summer and they won't fire when I try to start them. Reason I'm thinking this is because you said it would fire on starting fluid. It would also fire with good gas. I think it might be your problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back