Using a blade on a 2 wheel tractor

rockyridgefarm

Well-known Member
We've had a record breaking year for snow this year. 100 inches is the total SO FAR. This breaks the record by over 20 inches. I only just got my 715 with 28 inch blower and have used it for the last 4 snowfalls. It is a monster in snow. Even with the too-fast one speed of the 715, it chews right through the pile left by the snow plow. Sometimes I need to kick it out of gear and let it work, but that 8HP kohler takes it and asks for more most of the time. I probably should have a smaller blower on my 715 but this is the one that came with it.

I'm generally very happy with it but the last snowfall was very wet, heavy snow and the machine did more pushing than blowing. It would push until there was too much to push, then it would blow until there was too little to blow, and back and forth. This made a mess.

I've been toying with buying the blade BCS offers for their machine. I just ordered tire chains and probably will buy wheel weights for the 715. My biggest concern is whether I'll be pushing the snow or if the snow will be pushing me when I have it at and angle.

Does anyone on here have a BCS, Gravely, David Bradley, DR, Simplicity, etc. wheel tractor with a blade on it? How do you have yours equipped?
 
You may need both a blower and a blade. I've got a 54" dozer blade on a 2284 Cadet super tractor with 75# wheel weights on each wheel I have chains for it but I don't like to use them because it tears up our concrete drive. We have a 12' wide X 140' drive plus a 36' X 36' garage apron. Plow works for most snows and is much faster but we have a drift problem in some areas I can't break through so I have a 10hp 30" walk behind two stage blower to open a path. I don't like the blower because it is slow and I can never get the spout in the right area because the wind whips around so bad I always wind up looking like the abomnible (spelling?) snowman when I finish. I'll try to post pictures of the snow crew shortly because here in Ohio we have to race around and swap the blade for the mower deck. Cadet has a newer model that you can leave the blade on with mower deck I call it the Ohio special.
 
I have a 1975 Wheelhorse D-18 with a 54" snow blade. It has 90 pound weights on each wheel. It does a great job in a 10" snow as long as there is no ice under the snow.........rw
 
Hey cadet,

I was planning on keeping the blower and switching them back and forth or buying another walk behind tractor... Shh, don't tell wife. I'm a firm believer in the three day policy - if she doesn't notice it for three days and asks, "Where did that come from?" anytime after the fourth day, I say, "I've always had it." Too bad it never seems to work.
 
Funny, I always thought you put those things in the back of the shed and after you talk about how hard it is to swich equipment, you go out to the shed under the pretenses of seeing if there is anything you can use to make this easier on you, wait ten minutes, and say "Look what I found!"
LOL

JoshuaGA
 
I like that rule, maybe I can do that with a new motorcycle Hmmm maybe I'd better think about a tractor with a cab so I can sleep in it for a day or two. LOL
 
I think a blade on any two wheel tractor will get tipsy real fast. You'll probably fall over before you get any snow moved.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
 
Got several old Gravelys. The blade will work on fairly smooth surfaces and not a lot of snow. I imagine a BCS would be about the same. Fro side walks and stuff they're fins. For a driveway of any length I'd want a snowblower.

I did spread several tons of stone with a Gravely and blade. Wasn't too bad, but I was half mountain lion back then.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top