Using an IH model 39 Tumble Plow

Iliketofarm

New User
I have some questions on the use of this plow. Is it an in furrow plow? There are two stops on either side to hold the wheel at a certain height. When I pull the rope sometimes it drops all the way and often it stops at the first position. Also the tongue looks as though it can be moved from side to side, mine does not, and I wondered about the correct operation. Thanks for the input. Aaron
 
I've run a #39 quite a bit but am far from being an expert on them. Yes, it is an in furrow plow. I have no idea about the stops you mention on the wheel height. Both adjustment screws need to be adjusted equally.
On the tongue, I think it is to automaticly shift from side to side to reduce the draft. The one I pull does not, but it isn't locked in the center either. I just finds the best place it wants to be for whichever bottoms are in the ground.
I use an Oliver 88 that turns out 53 HP on the dyno and it really grunts with this plow. The owner of the plow has a "hot" M and he says it's like pullin tree stumps! This plow is 2-16's.
 
I have a couple of these plows and they can be a headache to use. But i agree, they do pull hard.
Start by checking the cam that runs across the front of the frame and turns when you pull the rope, on both sides there are two lobe pinned to the shaft these are used to run your stops when you pull the rope, check that the right side and left are oposite of one another (lobe up, lobe down) This creates the furrow wheel, land wheel stops when when pulling the rope. Another thing is dont pul the rope with out the plow moving or you will get it out of "time" and will have to stop and pul the rope 3 more time to get it back in time. Normally i would suggest buying the manual for it but i have one from Jensales and it was a waste of money, i had already figured out everything that was in the book which wasnt much.
Hopefully this helps, if you need pics let me know i can get some. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the information. I can see now what the wheel stops are for, in furrow and on land, and the swinging tongue to reduce the draft makes sense. Mine appears to have two 14" bottoms and does not pull quite as hard. I am planning to use a JD G for the puller, so don't know if it will do it or not. Thank you, Aaron
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top