Using plastigage on main bearings

Mtjohnso

Member
I have my tractor engine and sitting on wood blocks on end. It’s on its end because the other surfaces currently do not have good places to support it.
I am using plastigage as a beginning point of determining bearing wear. Since I have the engine sitting on its end I put a dab of grease on bearing surface to hold the plastigage in place.
Question will the grease affect how the plastigage spreads out? I know they recommend a very clean surface.
 
I have my tractor engine and sitting on wood blocks on end. It’s on its end because the other surfaces currently do not have good places to support it.
I am using plastigage as a beginning point of determining bearing wear. Since I have the engine sitting on its end I put a dab of grease on bearing surface to hold the plastigage in place.
Question will the grease affect how the plastigage spreads out? I know they recommend a very clean surface.
I always snugged all mains. Snugged does not mean just finger tight but only wrist tight on a short wrench. Then I check each main one at a time.
If your checking an engine with shims I only snugged the first check to see if I needed more shims before torquing to spec with the plastigage.
 
I don't know if it's in the instructions, but I always clean the bearing outer shell in the block, clean the bearings, clean all journals and put a strip of plastigage on each journal. If it doesn't stay well I use a very tiny amount of spit, and that usually works. The spit will not affect the crush of the plastic.

I do all journals at once, and I always torque the cap bolts very near full value. If the torque is listed at 80, I put at least 60 on the cap bolts. I've had good luck with accuracy doing it this way. The crank doesn't care if it's vertical or horizontal.
 
It’s unusual but I think docmirror and Jim.Me both have good points. Generally it should be fine unless it has a TON of wear it won’t be accurate but it sounds like if it is that sloppy you would be considering a different plan?

If they vary wildly the engine is out and a micrometer could be used on the crank instead would probably be my plan

If you don’t want to or don’t have a micrometer set your plastigauge plan likely is fine
 
As usual, a number of different thoughts come up. Some probably more valid than others, but all deserve consideration. Personally, I've never done this with an engine standing on end, but it wouldn't scare me. I think I would remove two of the main caps (which two would depend on the total number of main bearings) Insert a small piece of cardboard on the bearing surface and install them back into place. Tighten the bolts just enough to hold the crank back against the inner bearing shells. Then do the plastigage treatment on whichever ones are left. I can't see how that would adversely affect the outcome.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top