valve spring shims

I would use shims if I found any. Why? As a result of many valve grinds, the valve seats are deep into the block, lessening spring pressure. Result? Sticking or stuck valves.

(quoted from post at 11:51:43 12/10/23) I would use shims if I found any. Why? As a result of many valve grinds, the valve seats are deep into the block, lessening spring pressure. Result? Sticking or stuck valves.

Is there a spec for installed spring height?

This week I opened up my 172 cid engine and found spring seat shims (VMI) under 6 of the springs, two of which had double shims. First thing I did was to look at the valve seats to see if that was why they needed spring shims. My thinking on this for now, is that the engine has been rebuilt at least once. I was expecting some of the valve seats to be cut down deeper than others, but in reality, the exhaust seats were all the same, and so too for the intake seats. In your case I would just install new springs with the same shims you had now, unless your mechanic suggests you replace the seats, in which case no shims are needed. Other motors sometimes use seat springs on all the valves despite the seat height, because the shims reduce spring fatigue, and they reduce the risk of valve slap.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back