Valves seats 8n

Doug 13

Finally got all my stuck valves out! I kinda roughed up some of the springs and guides. So I think I should buy all new. Would the seats be 30 intake and 45 exhaust angles? I'm not sure what the book means when they say 90 included angle.

(quoted from post at 20:29:50 09/30/22) Finally got all my stuck valves out! I kinda roughed up some of the springs and guides. So I think I should buy all new. Would the seats be 30 intake and 45 exhaust angles? I'm not sure what the book means when they say 90 included angle.

Doug, it's time to take a breath and learn the best valve solution for your tractor. I was in your position a few years ago and came to the same conclusion as you. I removed the valves, guides, springs, clips and sent them into the recycling bin.
Then I bought the Neway valve seat cutting tools and restored the valve seats to original specs.
Many overlook the importance of a precision valve overhaul.
It's not rocket science, but must be performed as prescribed.
YOU can do it!
Take a break and read though this:
https://www.newaymfg.com/cutters
Then I have a few more tips.

(quoted from post at 23:29:50 09/30/22) Finally got all my stuck valves out! I kinda roughed up some of the springs and guides. So I think I should buy all new. Would the seats be 30 intake and 45 exhaust angles? I'm not sure what the book means when they say 90 included angle.

A 90 degree included angle is 45 degrees per side so you want a 45 degree seat cutter.
To adjust seat width use a 60 and 30 degree cutter as needed.

TOH

mvphoto97868.jpg

This post was edited by TheOldHokie on 10/01/2022 at 06:21 am.

(quoted from post at 05:34:39 10/01/22)
(quoted from post at 23:29:50 09/30/22) Finally got all my stuck valves out! I kinda roughed up some of the springs and guides. So I think I should buy all new. Would the seats be 30 intake and 45 exhaust angles? I'm not sure what the book means when they say 90 included angle.

A 90 degree included angle is 45 degrees per side so you want a 45 degree seat cutter.
To adjust seat width use a 60 and 30 degree cutter as needed.

TOH

mvphoto97868.jpg

This post was edited by TheOldHokie on 10/01/2022 at 06:21 am.

Thanks TOH, that answers my question. I understand seat width just never done it.

The set I have is exactly what Hokie posted, with one exception.
I was able to track down a Ford Flathead valve pilot. Back in the day, several manufacturers sold precision pilots for Ford flatheads.
So, I did an internet search and unbelievably found one for $49.95!!!
Hokie is showing a standard pilot that uses a solid valve seat as the guide. I do not have enough experience to tell you the difference in accuracy between the two. Maybe he can add to this discussion.
I CAN tell you this; MOST Ns are WAY overdue for precision valve service.
And the results will startle you.
"Lapping the valves" is pis-poor procedure.
In fact, After cutting precision seats with Neway, they advise NOT to lap the valves.

What is the best place to buy a Neway cutter? Model number? I would like to do the work myself so I could learn about it. Nearest machine shop is 70 miles and they may charge $100 per hr.

(quoted from post at 22:19:49 09/30/22)
(quoted from post at 20:29:50 09/30/22) Finally got all my stuck valves out! I kinda roughed up some of the springs and guides. So I think I should buy all new. Would the seats be 30 intake and 45 exhaust angles? I'm not sure what the book means when they say 90 included angle.

Doug, it's time to take a breath and learn the best valve solution for your tractor. I was in your position a few years ago and came to the same conclusion as you. I removed the valves, guides, springs, clips and sent them into the recycling bin.
Then I bought the Neway valve seat cutting tools and restored the valve seats to original specs.
Many overlook the importance of a precision valve overhaul.
It's not rocket science, but must be performed as prescribed.
YOU can do it!
Take a break and read though this:
https://www.newaymfg.com/cutters

Then I have a few more tips.

Doug, a great link thank you.

How much did you have into tool$, to be able to do N valve$?

I agree w/all the above about the Neway tool. It really makes the job easy!
I also bought an old valve grinding machine a few years ago when I could not find anyone within 100 miles who would still do it. I figure it paid for itself after only a couple engine rebuilds. It also reminded me of many years ago when I would take all the parts to my neighbor's Father-in-law's shop where I learned the proper way to do it. This was all the way back to when he was an Allis dealer!

(quoted from post at 06:08:28 10/02/22) I agree w/all the above about the Neway tool. It really makes the job easy!
I also bought an old valve grinding machine a few years ago when I could not find anyone within 100 miles who would still do it. I figure it paid for itself after only a couple engine rebuilds. It also reminded me of many years ago when I would take all the parts to my neighbor's Father-in-law's shop where I learned the proper way to do it. This was all the way back to when he was an Allis dealer!

I learned about cutting seats when I worked at a motorcycle shop. They had all the equipment for doing the seats and guides.

I wish I could afford my own tools now, as not many good shops left nearby. I imagine a lot of that old equipment went to rust or scrap bins.

(quoted from post at 03:42:30 10/02/22)

About $300.00. When you call Neway, they need to know the diameter of your valve faces and what size pilot you will use.

(quoted from post at 08:54:46 10/02/22)
(quoted from post at 03:42:30 10/02/22)

About $300.00. When you call Neway, they need to know the diameter of your valve faces and what size pilot you will use.

Looked like more than that on the website? Was that for 3 cutters 30 45 60 degrees? I'm assuming same ones will work for in/ex valves?

For $300 might be worth it if I can use some of the same cutters on other things I have. Or just invest in a few more cutters.

Yes. For all 3 angles, handle, and box.. One of the cutters has 2 angles, one on each side. If you look at the picture you can see an allen screw next to each cutter. The cutters can be adjusted for a range of valve sizes making them useful for other projects.
You will also need a pilot tool of some sort. Don' forget Prussian Blue. You will need that for adjusting the seat contact height and size on your valves.

(quoted from post at 23:16:38 10/01/22)
What is the best place to buy a Neway cutter? Model number? I would like to do the work myself so I could learn about it. Nearest machine shop is 70 miles and they may charge $100 per hr.

A Neway set with cutters and pilots for a flathead will run you $350 plus. You can rent mine for a modest fee. It was purchased to fill that need.

TOH

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back