Grinding 8N Valves

John P.

Is anyone aware of a kit that has the proper tools to grind the 8N valve seats in the block?
I'm not sure what I need to do the job.

Is anyone aware of a kit that has the proper tools to grind the 8N valve seats in the block?
cSk5bAi.jpeg

Here's how it was done years ago. I got these tools as part of a seat grinding set I got from an old garage auction years ago. From time to time stuff like this shows up on ebay.

A big job and you need specialty tools. Start by investing in the ESSENTIAL MANUALS. The Chapters in them are your friends.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• NFORD005.jpg
    NFORD005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • NFORD080.jpg
    NFORD080.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 12
  • NFORD083.jpg
    NFORD083.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 9
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - A FRONT COVER.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - A FRONT COVER.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 24.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 24.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 26.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 26.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 27.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 27.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
I’ve had all the manuals for the past 20 years.
Now I need the grinding tools for the job.

TOH posted the part numbers for the carbide cutters, best I remember they were in the $200 range. He may loan them out for a small fee.
I found this post, but I can’t find the part numbers:

I see a lot on the Neway website, but don’t know which tools to order.
Call Neway and talk to the Ford 8N tractor expert. I bought a cutter from them a few years ago and I have used it on the 8N and my 960. The guy recommended two cutter guides with the cutter. I believe one guide was for new engine spec and the second guide was slightly bigger to be used if the valve guide was worn. After cutting the seats each valve and seat needs to be honed the old fashioned way. The cutter has two sides to it which I believe were 30 and 45 degrees. The 45 degree cutter is for all the seating surfaces and the 30 degree cutter is used to clean up the edges of the seat.

Call Neway and talk to the Ford 8N tractor expert. I bought a cutter from them a few years ago and I have used it on the 8N and my 960. The guy recommended two cutter guides with the cutter. I believe one guide was for new engine spec and the second guide was slightly bigger to be used if the valve guide was worn. After cutting the seats each valve and seat needs to be honed the old fashioned way. The cutter has two sides to it which I believe were 30 and 45 degrees. The 45 degree cutter is for all the seating surfaces and the 30 degree cutter is used to clean up the edges of the seat.
Neway wants the valve diameters and angle.
So, I think they are looking for 45 degrees on both seats and intake valve diameter of 1.50" and exhaust valve diameter of 1.28"

I purchased everything from Neway, to cut new Valve Seats on my W9 Head....... . 100% satisfied with their tools.

So, it looks like I will need a CU268 cutter, a CU626 cutter, and a TW503 handle.
Still need to figure out what I will need for pilots.

PXL_20240403_211248327.MP.jpgPXL_20240403_211331891.jpgPXL_20240403_211243751.jpg
Cutter 232. The cutting teeth are adjustable for valve seat diameter. cut both an 8N and 960 valve seats with this cutter. These are the two pilots I have that were recommended by Neway. I honestly don't remember which pilot I used on which tractor but I had no problems with either engine.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back