Valvoline 813 in 860?

Hello everyone and Id like to thank any responses in advance. Im getting ready to pull the PTO shaft because I have too much slop so I have to drain the fluid. Figured I just change all the fluids while Im at it since I havent done it since purchasing the tractor. Ive heard a lot of guys say just go buy the cheap stuff at tractor supply and put it in all three compartments but Ive seen mentions of Valvoline 813. On Amazon there is Valvoline Vv813 and Valvoline 813 Unitrac. 813 Unitrac is much cheaper. Not sure why its so much cheaper or if its even the same stuff. I dont mind spending extra money if the juice is worth the squeeze. Does anyone have any good arguments on why to purchase 813 over the cheap Traveler?

I can't find anything about it, but it must have the additives for enhancing the operation of the clutch packs which your 860 doesn't have.

Your oil grade isn't your problem if having slop issues. Your gonna pull shaft and install new right? My search for 813 comes up as Valvoline Unitrac, and other search showed SPEC as Grade 10W-30. The 813 might be made for later systems. I think a GL4/UTF Grade will work fine - it has for many others now for years. It's your tractor, your $$$ and you can do whatever you want, what you feel is right. A SAE 90 GL1 oil would be OK too. I've used it for years, live in MI so a 9-month cold climate is normal in winter, and never had any issues. Go to a search engine, plug in product name with MSDS and get the company data stat sheet for all the info on it. You don't need a special additive for zinc and copper in these old Fords.

Tim Daley(MI)
VALVOLINE UNITRAC

It appears VV813 is the part number for a 5-gallon pail of UniTrac Fluid. I expect some have shortened that to 813. Note the part numbers at the bottom of the Product Information Sheet. It appears to be a UTHF meeting many current specs for wet clutch and brake applications. Link to the Product Information Sheet below.

UniTrac Fluid product information sheet.

As Jim.ME says.
The 813 is the part no. for the five gallon pail. The two prices you see are from two different Amazon venders. I use it in all my hy-tran tractors including the Kubotas.
In your nearly 70 year old Ford, you could use the cheap stuff from the farm supply store.

The only advantage over the cheap stuff is the warm and fuzzy feeling you get for spending extra. The difference is in clutch packs and wet brakes.

Lol showcrop, thats just the feeling Im trying to avoid. I get
that feeling too often as it is. It doesnt look like theres any
arguments for the 813 so Ill keep the money in my pocket!
Thanks guys.

I use the Valvoline 813 in my SOS transmissions, that is the only place I use it. In the rest of my tractors I use the premium Traveler hydraulic oil from TSC. I've had no problems going that route and agree with the opinion that an 860 wouldn't need the 813 oil either as it doesn't have any clutch packs or wet brakes in it. The SOS has clutch packs and bands in it so that is the reason I use the 813 in them. Not saying that the Traveler oil wouldn't be ok in the SOS but I've seen a lot of recommendations for using the 813 oil in them. Just my 2 cents worth, Greg NE

(quoted from post at 06:06:31 02/19/23) Lol showcrop, thats just the feeling Im trying to avoid. I get that feeling too often as it is. It doesnt look like theres any
arguments for the 813 so Ill keep the money in my pocket!
Thanks guys.

Unitrac is Valvolines brand name and has been for decades. VV813 is one of the last UTF-s that "meets or exceeds" Fords M2C134xx spec. Required in anything that runs wet clutches (IMO) like hydraulic shuttles, brakes, pto-s and the SoS. It used to be about a 30w oil. Maybe the base stock and additive package has changed and they're starting with a 10w base stock now. Anyway, good stuff, but not the stuff you need as mentioned. I'm not sure I'd classify TSC's UTF as cheap anymore, but the times they have a changed.

This post was edited by Check Break on 02/19/2023 at 09:13 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back