Views from the tractor cab today

Adirondack case guy

Well, today I went down to the lower farm to plow, hoping for drier ground. Had a few damp spots, but no problem with 4WD. There is still some limited fall color down there around the beaver dam. This 41A field had oats planted on it but after the harvest wild white clover really took root. It made for an excellent cover crop to be plowed under. I have the plow set in deep and it is leaving some green on top to control erosion. If I set the plow a bit shallower it would leave a nice trash free,smooth surface, but this field gets steeper on the lower end and some trash will help control erosion. (You No-Till guys can keep your opinions to yourself), we have seen both pros and cons in this area, and at 85yro the remaining uncle is not about to drop a lot of money to buy new expensive no-till equipment. so we are using our tried and proven old school equipment.
I plowed about 25A this afternoon, and will finish up the rest tomorrow before rain moves in again in late afternoon, if nothing breaks. I poped a couple of shear pins on the #3 shank today, which has never happened on this plow. I had to call the
wifey and get her to get some bolts from my shop and bring them down to me. That wasted about 40 min. of time that I could have been plowing, but at least I didn't have to make the 4 mile trek back to the farm and then back to the field.
cvphoto39873.jpg

cvphoto39874.jpg

cvphoto39875.jpg

cvphoto39876.jpg

cvphoto39877.jpg
The next 2 pic are of a fawn that spent quit some time at the end of the field I was plowing. I was about 50' from it many times this afternoon. I guess it was just enjoying the sunshine and the view. The last pic is looking down the valley to the novelist, James Fenimore Cooper's beloved Lake Glimerglass, head waters to the Susquehanna River.----------------Loren

cvphoto39878.jpg

cvphoto39879.jpg

cvphoto39881.jpg

I enjoy plowing enough that I wish I could come help you. I might not get as good of a job as you are. My land washes to much for me to plow and with hills and contours not sure I want dead furrows to deal with while harvesting. Looks great thanks for taking time to post pics. Tom

I thought that too when I first saw it, but it's legs were too long for a fox or coyote when it finally got up.------------------------Loren

I'd challenge you to leave a strip, and no-till into that clover next spring. You won't need a fancy planter- dad used a JD 7000 with plow coulters mounted to it for 15 years- total investment $125. We have a a couple hundred acres with no tillage since 1986. No rock picking, soil organic matter up 50-75% over at the time of starting, and yields we couldn't dream of then, and on less fertilizer.

You may see the no-tillers as critisism, but they are trying to point the way to that farm land being productive for another 100 years or more.

History doesn't have to die. That big Case could pull a no till planter or drill as well. Think about it. We manage 1100 acres without tillage, and for years planted with two 4020s. We still could, but I figured dad would last longer in a better cab!

See what happens on your own farm.

Well, at first I thought it was a fox laying there, but when it got up and bounded away it flagged a white tail and had long legs.-----------------Loren

That certainly is pretty countryside Loren. We drove through that area just today on I-90 from Boston visiting the grandkids. Drove the southern route on the way there last week via I-86/17/I-88. Great colors both ways.

Loren,

Man that ground looks mellow...practically looks like it's been disced.

And WOW - it is so scenic there! Beautiful.

As 2underage would have said, "Happy Farming".

Thats a gret view. Sure looks like a fawn to me.
Those no till guys love no till,gives em more time at the coffee shop.
The old pickle plantation farmers here farm way over 6000 acres.they tried no till almost broke them. They run heavy cutting discs then vertical tillage then plant.

It is a coyote, white tailed deer do not have ears like that. The side profile shot really proves what it is. I just spent 8 weeks raising a very late born fawn until weaned, and she is back in the wild now. Most younger fawns would flatten down in a situation like that, head included, just like a cat does, then all of a sudden spring up if alarmed.

Coyotes being opportunist's, always want a vantage point to look over a hill or see things from a high spot like this one is doing, probably waiting for Loren to scare out some prey :)

(quoted from post at 20:24:36 10/24/19) Well, at first I thought it was a fox laying there, but when it got up and bounded away it flagged a white tail and had long legs.-----------------Loren

Ah yes, the infamous White Tailed Coyote. :lol:

That clover will do a hell of lot better job holding the ground in place if you leave it on top of the ground. :). Plowin up real good though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back