Voltage regulator

phall49

New User
I have a 2310 ford that i put a new alt on andi put a tester on the pos.cable it showed 13.5 volts ,I unhooked the pos.cable with the tester still on ,still 13.5 volts.
that tells me it is charging well but the warning lite on the dash glows about half intesity. could this be the regulator?
 
Is this a ford alternator with an external voltage regulator?

Also.. please quit disconnection your charge cable while the engine is running.. it is REAL HARD on the alternator.

soundguy
 
This is a ford alt.
the dash light is in the tach cluster on the dash
it is a rebuilt alt from checker.
at 1st the light did go out when started
 
You didn't answer my question.. i asked where you had the lamp hooked to. I don't care about it's physical location... we know one side is hooked to ignition / power.. so, thus, again,.. where do you have that other side hooked to?

soundguy
 
You say it doesn't have an external regulator, but you also say the lamp leads are connected to a terminal on the alternator and a terminal on the regulator. Are both terminals on the alternator?
 
yes,its tied into the alt befor the regulator according to scematicts in my manual.
ido notice if i turn the key back one position and then foward to the position just befor start where you nomally run the light goes out and sometimes comes back on
 
Ok.. I didn't ask about your schematic..

I wanted you to verify where the lamp actually ran.. Looking at how it is suposed to be wired don't help if someone has re-wired it.. see what I'm getting at?

soundguy
 
(quoted from post at 09:04:57 05/28/08)
Ok, I looked at the CNH site and see several alternators for your machine, but all have a built in rectifier, and what they refer to as a a regulator. If you put all the wires back in their original ( factory) locations, everything should work. That is assuming that something else isn't broken. If the light fades out after being on a while, it sounds like a high resistance connection somewhere, which could be inside your switch. It could also be any connection in the circuit. I would open each of them one at a time and give them a good cleaning before tightening them back up. A bad connection could be the reason behind your replacing that alternator in the first place.
 
I unhooked the voltage regulator and everything appears to be working correctly.this is not a direct replacement alt. so i believe it has a internal reg.can i run it this way or do i need to get an oem
 
Sounds like you have a can of worms. If it was mine, I'd return the alternator and get a GM one and hook it up according to John in La's instructions. It's easy, simple, and works.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top