Want input on choosing a new ute

Square Eye

Bossette and I are looking to buy a new side by side. It’ll mostly be used by her around the farmstead (3acres). We will also putter around the farms doing windshield farming, and going down to the “breaks”, the 160 acres that is not tillable to fish in our stock tank, hunt or just enjoy what we have.

I would like opinions on the utv’s we may be considering:

2024 Kubota RTV 520
2024 CF MOTO EPS 4x4
2024 Ranger 570 full size
2023 Can Am Defender Max 2 seater
2024 Can Am Max HD7 Single Seat
2024 SSR BISON 500
2024 Kawasaki Mule SX

All are new. All are dealership offerings.

Opinions are requested. Thanks.

I bought a kaw 4010 mule in 2011.
It came with fuel injection, twin cylinder.
Power steering , brakes on all 4 wheels, 4x4 and can carry 1000 pounds.
My friend bought the kaw 610 mule. I think it is similar to SX mule.
He wishes he had spent a little more and bought the 4010.
I bought the end of the year model for 75% of the original price.
It now has 1000 hours on it. I really think the electric assist power steering is worth every penny.

I would be concerned about dealer support more than anything.
My local kaw dealer has kids working in their service department and are not trained to work on electronic fuel injection..
Everyone thinks Kubota is the gold standard. I also think their service department is number 1.
I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 4010. It can easily carry 100 gallons of water.

We're on our 2nd Kubota. Had a 500 for 12 years and put 1500 trouble free hours on it. Bought a 520 2 years ago and so far so good. If you want to go fast, don't buy a Kubota.

I got a 2023 Defender HD7 May of last year. So far so good. Has more towing and hauling capacity than any of the others. Thing goes anywhere. I have the full glass with removable doors. Didn't get the heat or ac, nor wipers. Only odd thing is sometimes it will start with foot off the brake, other times have to depress brake pedal. Asked about that but go no answer. A little noisy with all the acrylic doors and windows, miscellaneous squeaks from the mounting points. Doors off, not bad. I use mine for hauling hay, feed and firewood. Bed has stake pockets so I made 2 ft wood side rails. Middle and passenger seat flip up if you have a big dog that likes to ride. My 140 lb Rottweiler goes with me sometimes. I went back and forth between Kawasaki and CanAm. Went with the CA because of tow haul. It was close though. Polaris had been having ecm issues when I got mine, so they were out. The also don't use Fuji motors anymore. I have a 1995 Polaris 2x4 300. 2 cycle 300 cc fuji. It has been fantasic. 2 spark plugs, 3 batteries, 2 sets of brake pads. Thats it in 28 yrs. Probably a couple thousand miles of trail riding.Really went to get a Ranger until I read the reviews, ecm trouble. I'm sure they have that worked out by now. Other thing is the Defender will only go about 20 without the seatbelt fastened. Buckle the belts and 46 mph. Other thing is parts availability for the name brands. Bison and CF 5 yrs from now, who knows? HD 7 load capacity 1700 lbs, tailgate 250, towing 2500 lbs.

Last edited:
Thanks men for the input. The Kubota, Kawasaki Mule and the Can Am Max HD7 have percolated to the top of the list. The Bison fell off it.

This won’t be a workhorse. My wife will use it around the house while tending her flower pots and beds to tote plants, potting soil, mulch, etc. I’ll knock around on it checking our solar pump, fences, and such. Oh, and to go fishing or hunting or hiding from the world for awhile.

Your input has helped to narrow the field. Monday we will go to look at and test drive some. Probably will come back with something.

Thanks again.

We're on our 2nd Kubota. Had a 500 for 12 years and put 1500 trouble free hours on it. Bought a 520 2 years ago and so far so good. If you want to go fast, don't buy a Kubota.
charlie
My mule only goes about 25 mph which is an advantage when my grandson was learning how to drive.
The mule sips gas too.
I can easily service the Kaw. Change oil in engine, front and rear axle. It takes 2 quarts of oil for engine, a filter that is less than $10 and 3 quarts of 75-90 limites slip gear lube for 2 axles.
Dealer wanted $170 to do that for the first 50 hour service. I now do it myself.

I wonder what it would cost you to have Kubota dealer service a Kubota?
Kubota dealer charged me almost $800 to do the first service on my Tractor, L3560. OUCH
Cost to service may be something to consider too

I have Kubota RTV1140
I know you will spend more for it but its worth every penny
Its a work horse , and with the extra row seat you have room for Grandkids

We have a 2018 Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT EPS LE.Bought it new. Holds 6 passengers which allows room for Grandkids. Use it much as you describe. Ride around, hunting, checking on things. Put a fold up type hitch hauler on it to carry things I can’t fit or don’t want to put in the rear bed. It has served us well.

Bossette and I are looking to buy a new side by side. It’ll mostly be used by her around the farmstead (3acres). We will also putter around the farms doing windshield farming, and going down to the “breaks”, the 160 acres that is not tillable to fish in our stock tank, hunt or just enjoy what we have.

2024 Kubota RTV 520
2024 CF MOTO EPS 4x4
2024 SSR BISON 500
2024 Kawasaki Mule SX

I have four mules and two kubotas...
SO... Kubotas are cadillacs, have great suspension and allow you to run pretty much full speed across the ranch. BUT... they are very heavy, and are useless in mud, bury themselves, have to have the radiator screen cleaned very often, but seem to hold up fairly well so far. less than a 1000 hours on each. With a heavy load, the tires are over loaded, but they do about/almost the same work as the kawasakis.
Kawasaki.. have two with near 3000 hours on them... They ride rough on bumpy roads and need to travel around 10 to 15 mph or you can't stay in them. They are almost half/two thirds the weight of the kubotas. They will go through swamp, quicksand and about everything else, even when the caterpillar, and tractors are stuck, the mules will still move and slowly work their way across the ranch. The diesel kawasakis will run almost forever. The gas version has had the gas tank pinhole and a couple other minor problems, so we run it on a boat tank now. The kaws hold up to brush better and have less problems with things getting torn loose and are a bit better protected, other than the speedometer cables get pulled out eventually, when driving over black brush.

SO.. the kaws are tougher and seem to last longer, carry more load.. The kubotas are more refined and comfortable, smoother, but def stay out of mud. One of the kubotas is air conditioned and I had to bring that one back home as no work got done, as everyone sat in the cab and kept cool. DONT get a/c if you want work done!!! The diesels are more trouble free due to the crappy external_link gas with alcohol in it on either model, so long term stay away from the gas versions is recommended. If you do get a gas version, run it every week or face problems with the fuel system and pumps.
my 2 cents...

2024 Kubota RTV 520
2024 CF MOTO EPS 4x4
2024 SSR BISON 500
2024 Kawasaki Mule SX

Not listed. Maybe you do not have close dealer. John deere gator. I have an 825. Had it 5 years or so. Trouble free. Great capacity. Seats very comfortable. The back of seat has a nice slope. Much like car or truck.

We have the Mule 4010 diesel, 2013 model, about 2400 miles on it with no problems. As others have said, it's not fast, but a real workhorse. Daughter had a diesel Polaris for a while, no problems with it but didn't have it long enough to really tell how it was going to do. She got a good deal on it used, decided she really didn't need it, and someone made her an offer she couldn't refuse. I did not like the transmission, you had to floor it to get it to start moving

Tomorrow will be one week since we took delivery of our 2024 1000 Alpine CFmoto. Full cab glass all the way around with full doors and power windows. And I almost forgot the heater. It was over ten thousand cheaper than the others. 65 mph is like driving a car. The starting price is absolutely cheap. Check them all out before you buy. The extras all seem to start at a grand, most of the stuff you want is already on a CF

Thanks to all for your responses. The plan was to go to Abilene today to look at utv’s, but My wife discovered that only the Kubota and Deere dealerships are open on Monday. The others have “gone riding”. We will go tomorrow after my dental appointment.

My wife discovered that only the Kubota and Deere dealerships are open on Monday. The others have “gone riding”.

This tells you a lot of what you need to know about who you should buy from.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion, but the poster that said the Kawasaki Mule was tougher than the Kubota is way off. The Kubota will wear out two Kawasaki and will still be going. If they have one outstanding feature it is their long life and durability Kubota will not win the speed race but out work anything on the market,, AND did I say check the market shares evidently they are doing pretty good Of the registered sales last year KUBOTA sold 28% of all Go look you will be satisfied

2024 Kubota RTV 520
2024 CF MOTO EPS 4x4
2024 SSR BISON 500
2024 Kawasaki Mule SX

2020 Canam Defender HD8 9275 miles 100% OEM only thing i did was put car tires on it and love them [bought new rims] .drive belt is original . tops out at 64mph

I got a 2023 Defender HD7 May of last year. So far so good. Has more towing and hauling capacity than any of the others. Thing goes anywhere. I have the full glass with removable doors. Didn't get the heat or ac, nor wipers. Only odd thing is sometimes it will start with foot off the brake, other times have to depress brake pedal. Asked about that but go no answer. A little noisy with all the acrylic doors and windows, miscellaneous squeaks from the mounting points. Doors off, not bad. I use mine for hauling hay, feed and firewood. Bed has stake pockets so I made 2 ft wood side rails. Middle and passenger seat flip up if you have a big dog that likes to ride. My 140 lb Rottweiler goes with me sometimes. I went back and forth between Kawasaki and CanAm. Went with the CA because of tow haul. It was close though. Polaris had been having ecm issues when I got mine, so they were out. The also don't use Fuji motors anymore. I have a 1995 Polaris 2x4 300. 2 cycle 300 cc fuji. It has been fantasic. 2 spark plugs, 3 batteries, 2 sets of brake pads. Thats it in 28 yrs. Probably a couple thousand miles of trail riding.Really went to get a Ranger until I read the reviews, ecm trouble. I'm sure they have that worked out by now. Other thing is the Defender will only go about 20 without the seatbelt fastened. Buckle the belts and 46 mph. Other thing is parts availability for the name brands. Bison and CF 5 yrs from now, who knows? HD 7 load capacity 1700 lbs, tailgate 250, towing 2500 lbs.
the start thing is common when you put it in part the park pin dose not seat it self rock it and you will hear a click then its in park . i just push the brake peddle all the time

2024 Kubota RTV 520
2024 CF MOTO EPS 4x4
2024 SSR BISON 500
2024 Kawasaki Mule SX

Curious that Honda wasn't mentioned. My wife and I just bought a Honda Pioneer 700 for farm use. We looked at all the major brands and also looked at reviews and it was an easy decision for us. 5 year warranty, no drive belts, great reviews, converts to 4 seats when necessary, and cheapest of all we looked at. 45mph, full roll cage with 3pt seat belts for all passengers, roof covers cargo bed so my feed doesn't get wet. I have experience with the Kubotas, Kawasaki Mules, JD Gators, and Polaris Rangers. The Honda will be running strong when the rest are junk.

2019Curious that Honda wasn't mentioned. My wife and I just bought a Honda Pioneer 700 for farm use. We looked at all the major brands and also looked at reviews and it was an easy decision for us. 5 year warranty, no drive belts, great reviews, converts to 4 seats when necessary, and cheapest of all we looked at. 45mph, full roll cage with 3pt seat belts for all passengers, roof covers cargo bed so my feed doesn't get wet. I have experience with the Kubotas, Kawasaki Mules, JD Gators, and Polaris Rangers. The Honda will be running strong when the rest are junk.
I, too, am curious about the Hondas-you don't seem to hear about or see them very often. I recently bought a 2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R spec, and while it has been very good to me on my small farm, and 1 trail ride, I have been reding about the clutch sheeve maintenance that is required every 1500 miles, which I think is ridiculous. To me the selling point of the Honda Pioneer is the transmission: no belt. Polaris's belt can be changed on the side of a trail, if need be- the Yamaha is an all-day affair. Mark.

the start thing is common when you put it in part the park pin dose not seat it self rock it and you will hear a click then its in park . i just push the brake peddle all the
the start thing is common when you put it in part the park pin dose not seat it self rock it and you will hear a click then its in park . i just push the brake peddle all the time
Yep, I do the same on my 22 Defender.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back