Water in NAA tranny

jaspruden

I bought this NAA recently. It has been sitting idle "for a while". I finally have the engine purring like a kitten. Now for the back half of the tractor.

The hydraulic fluid has a little moisture in it as was expected and I understand, quite normal. I'll work it out as I use the tractor since the lift works so well and does not leak off very much.

The transmission was another matter. I took the top cover off the transmission to replace the starter switch. It was within 1 inch of the top with oil. I knew that 9 qts of oil would not have the level up this high. I took a siphon hose and worked it to the bottom and siphoned 2 1/2 gallons of water out, leaving some very emulsified oil and water. I have since used my handy 4 foot cheater bar and 1 1/16 socket to remove the plug from the transmission and drained the emulsified mess out. Left it draining overnight.

Now, what should I do to clean the rest of the junk out of the transmission? Leave it and put fresh 80-90wt gear oil on it and let heat burn the rest of the water out?

I have put on a new shifter boot and top cover gasket to reduce re-occurrence. This much water had to have been rain water over a period of years.

I would use diesel or kerosene to flush it all out. Get a bit less than what it would take to fill it. Drive it and go through all the gears for 15 mins. Then drain it all out good and fill it with oil. This will clean crud out of but note if crud was helping the seals hold the oil in you may have to change seals. If you don't want to change seals you could just change oil again later to make sure all the water and such has been cleaned out.

I just cleaned out a 950 transmission a few days ago. While I had the top cover off to clean and inspect everything I cleaned it using about two gallons of fuel through a pump up air pressure sprayer, and then another gallon to flush it. There was a lot of mud on the bottom.

Since it is so easy to take the top off, I think I like the idea of a pump up sprayer and some diesel to wash it out real good.

Thanks for the suggestions!

(quoted from post at 13:56:38 02/23/23) Obviously you do not live in a cold climate.

Well it does get cold but not for long. I dont know why this thing did not freeze and break the case. I live in the IH20 corridor in Texas.

(quoted from post at 21:39:38 02/23/23) It will be be back, mostly caused by condensation.

Though 2.5 gal. would be a lot of condensation, few tractor owners are inclined to accept how "big" a problem condensation really can be.

Well I can buy off on some condensation but since the hydraulics did have some water in the oil, the fluid level is normal and had no free water when I opened the drain plug. Of course it had been circulated by the hydraulic pump. I suspect some condensation and a lot of rain coming in around the shifter over a period of years sitting.

I had a 2000 that had the hydraulic lines from the pump running through the tranny case to the hydraulic section......yours probably
does too as the 2000 was basically a blue 600 series.....I know your NAA is a 1953 900 series basically butttttt. Since condensation
water (I kept my tractors shedded) would build up over time and the tranny oil would float above the water exposing the lines to
water, I would have the same problem. Folks on here informed me that the pipes rust over time and develop pin holes which allow
the hyd. fluid from the pump to the hyd sump to fill the tranny case. Response was right on as I would check my hyd sump and it
would be low.

You can either convert from 90 GL1 to trans hyd. fluid in both and when checking tranny fluid drain it down to the full hole on the
side of the tranny case. Eventually your tranny will be full of trans hyd anyway.

Only problem in the tranny with the changeover is that it may be noiser than it was with the 90w. I had no problem with a little noise,
winter shifting was greatly improved and I had that tractor for probably 15 years and acquired it with the pin holes and what I said
and I didn't look back.

(quoted from post at 18:46:34 03/01/23) I had a 2000 that had the hydraulic lines from the pump running through the tranny case to the hydraulic section......yours probably
does too as the 2000 was basically a blue 600 series.....I know your NAA is a 1953 900 series basically butttttt. Since condensation
water (I kept my tractors shedded) would build up over time and the tranny oil would float above the water exposing the lines to
water, I would have the same problem. Folks on here informed me that the pipes rust over time and develop pin holes which allow
the hyd. fluid from the pump to the hyd sump to fill the tranny case. Response was right on as I would check my hyd sump and it
would be low.

You can either convert from 90 GL1 to trans hyd. fluid in both and when checking tranny fluid drain it down to the full hole on the
side of the tranny case. Eventually your tranny will be full of trans hyd anyway.

Only problem in the tranny with the changeover is that it may be noiser than it was with the 90w. I had no problem with a little noise,
winter shifting was greatly improved and I had that tractor for probably 15 years and acquired it with the pin holes and what I said
and I didn't look back.

The NAA did not have the hydraulic tubes inside the transmission. It had external tubes that went from the pump to the bottom of the hydraulic sump in the rear axle center housing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back