(quoted from post at 19:56:18 01/09/23) No the plastic pipe is unable to conduct the signal needed to be able to locate with a locator.

Sorry. But yes they can. Not only plastic water lines but also plastic gas lines can be traced with the right equipment.
 
Russ it's a little chilly for flights,but thanks anyway!
I Have a real good idea where the line is,the problem is the dozer operator ignored me when I told him exactly where it was and took out the land marks. 20 years later I want to put up a lean to on the shop and that is going to require moving some dirt and I am sure there is water there somewhere. I'll call Roger at the water dept and see if he can locate it for me. I have never tried witching before, but I might give it a try.
 
Yes, it's very easy to find a water line with a couple of pieces of bent wire...assuming, of course, you already know where the water line is. If you don't have a clue where it is, then those enchanted coat hangers are useless.

If you know the line starts at point A and goes to point B, then it probably more or less follows a straight line between those points. If there are any big trees in the way, then of course the water line has to go around them.

A water line SHOULD be down at least two feet. But when you get down south it's not uncommon to find them barely beneath the surface. North of the Mason-Dixon line, if you don't go deeper than 18 inches with your posts, you PROBABLY won't hit the line.
 
Me too. I normally only bury a water line 6. I have a pipe that is now exposed due to erosion. Recently we had some cold weather so I just put a piece of fiberglass insulation over the pipe and it did fine.
 
May sound like Voo Doo but I had a local senior locate a waterline for me. Hook a steel coat hanger and cut the horizontal bottom bar off and the hook at the top leaving the stem. Held it out in front of him at arms length with it held with his thumb and forefinger. It worked.

Sometime later I needed to find a line. So I did what he did for an instrument and coudn't believe it.......one side dipped when I crossed the line. I was indeed shocked but it made a believer out of me. I forget the term for that process...witching or something like that.
 
Not even the ones that think they are. He gave up after an hour and took the ditching machine crosways of where we knew the tile was and found the tile but tile uncovered he still could not do it. And claimed he had succfully did it dozens of times. He proved himself wrong about it working.
 
It does work for me and i am told it goes by earth disturbances. My brother had a test for me to locate things for him. I found everything he wanted me to find. Some buried trees was part of the test.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top