WC counter sink screws

Jhn

I was going to try to remove the narrow front from a WC. I assume the 4 counter sink screws on top go all the way into casting and not just rails and is there any good way or a chance to get them out? Surprisingly all the regular bolts on the sides turned out easy instead of twisting off.
cvphoto119700.jpg

They are only screwed in the rail. That casting is pretty tight in the rails so they may barely be touching that front if they are touching it. The screws are tight in there. You can try heat. You can try hitting a screwdriver while in the slot to try to work loose. You will likely mess them up. Only replacements I have found are hex not slotted. Fastenal carries them but you may have to buy a bag.

Get a 1/2 impact screwdriver (not a power one)
TEKTON seems to have a good rep.
They're about $25 on eBay and have 5/16 and 3/8 flat bits. Walmart sells them for less too.

Heat up to dull red, stick some wax on the screw while still hot.
Let cool before attempting the impact driver.

If re-assembling, use anti-seize

some Flat-Head screws

https://www.mcmaster.com/flat-head-screws/head-type~flat/drive-style~slotted/material~steel/steel-slotted-flat-head-screws-9/

Countersunk screws are always hard to remove even without the rust. Some stamping dies I worked on had a thin cover plate with flat-heads and I always had to drill a few out due to friction under the head. Use a drill a little larger than the thread diameter and the head will pop off and leave you with a stub to grab. It will hard to get the drill started in the slot,

I had to just go ahead and remove the pedestal on mine, then I could spray the back side of the threads with so go go juice, they came right out with a hand impact screwdriver.

Yes. I have switched front pedestals on my WC, and removed the new one to get the seals replaced, I thought the countersunk screws went into the pedestal, but they do not. I found small depressions in the pedestal where the screws are located. You may have to spread the frame rails a little because of rust to slide the pedestal out, but it can be done. Take out or loosen one of the bolts holding the radiator to the frame, or you may cause a leak in the radiator.....Don't ask me how I know.....

You do not need the brackets unless you plan to put a cultivator on. I neverhad them on any WC's (3) that I had.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back