Weather Vane Update

guido

Done!

Guido.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_104454914~2.jpg
    IMG_20240420_104454914~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
50% of a tennis ball and some JB weld. How did the bearing work out?
Can you cut off the W and weweld it on upside down to make the whole NSEW thing work correctly if turned upside down? Jim
Since you asked I will tell you how I did the repair, and post a couple of pictures for you.
What I used for a cup is a plastic ball used for a small basketball game. $1.25 at the dollar store.

I cut the ball in half a put 1 hole in it. Drilled the holes a bit small for a tighter fit. I put the 1/2 sphere in the vane's rod just a quarter of an inch.
Them I took a wooden skewer and I put it in from the opposite side of the rod through the ball and into the hole next to the rod. I pushed it in along the rod maybe 4 inches.

I sealed both pin entrances with silicone on both sides of the ball. Then I used a tie wrap to fasten the skewer to the rod.
Final touch was the painting.

The bearing cleaned up nicely, a little oil and it is good as new. I also packed the part that is on the rod side of the bearing h some grease. The pin that is the center of the pin was loose, so I made it a bit ablong. Now the bearing works, as the outer part is pressed in the housing.

I also shimmed the pin so that the turning assembly does not touch the rod. The only friction is the bearing, which turns easily now. NSEW is just for show, it only turns and does not have a pointer for wind direction anyhow.

I will post some pictures from my phone, as this laptop is not working with my phone now.

Guido.

Since you asked I will tell you how I did the repair, and post a couple of pictures for you.
What I used for a cup is a plastic ball used for a small basketball game. $1.25 at the dollar store.

I cut the ball in half a put 1 hole in it. Drilled the holes a bit small for a tighter fit. I put the 1/2 sphere in the vane's rod just a quarter of an inch.
Them I took a wooden skewer and I put it in from the opposite side of the rod through the ball and into the hole next to the rod. I pushed it in along the rod maybe 4 inches.

I sealed both pin entrances with silicone on both sides of the ball. Then I used a tie wrap to fasten the skewer to the rod.
Final touch was the painting.

The bearing cleaned up nicely, a little oil and it is good as new. I also packed the part that is on the rod side of the bearing h some grease. The pin that is the center of the pin was loose, so I made it a bit ablong. Now the bearing works, as the outer part is pressed in the housing.

I also shimmed the pin so that the turning assembly does not touch the rod. The only friction is the bearing, which turns easily now. NSEW is just for show, it only turns and does not have a pointer for wind direction anyhow.

I will post some pictures from my phone, as this laptop is not working with my phone now.

Guido.
Plastic? With the winds we have been having in Kansas lately, that would end up in outer space 10 minutes after putting it up if the bearing wasn't smoked before that. Have a good day!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back